• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

I picked this stuff up at a military show "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I went to a military show today and got these three item's a Russian mig clock and a Thommen type Q13-941.2 any one know any thing about the thommen it's in the book military timepieces I can move the hour and minute hands and the second hand will work like a stop watch you press one of the nobs in it will stop and reset it and start it.But the hand with the point none of the two nobs will move it or reset it.It does move when clock is working if any one know any thing about this clock how it works if it was military let me know thanks for any info.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
posted
Well, that type of clock is an elapsed time chrono.
This means that you can set the hours and minute operating pulling out the knob situated bottom left.
BOTH the second and the pointer must be "stopped and zeroed" by pressing the knob upper right: first press: stop, second press: zero.
Maybe I'm wrong, but, if only the second hand has been stopped and zeroed in this way, I'm afrad that something is wrong there...

posted
Claudio
I was told the same at another forum about the reset looks like it's due for a service.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
posted
Well, this will worth the pain!
Those clocks aren't rare, but they're wellmade and fine. It doesn't need a big repair so it won't cost too much.

posted
The Thommen looks like a later copy of a U.S. model A-13A clock.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
posted
Hi Jim
Some one else told me it mite be a waltham when I looked at the book military timepieces I saw the thommen and did not see the waltham so I thought that's what it was.Well the thommen had a mark on the dial the waltham does not.There are no marking on the case on the one I own long story short I think you are right.And my mistake on the ID.

posted
I think it is not a Thommen too, but we can be 100% sure only opening it.
It's not difficult: have you ever opened it?

posted
GREETINGS MIKE, YOUR AIRCRAFT CLOCK IS A WALTHAM TYPE A13-A, 22 JEWELS. I HAVE 3 OF THESE CLOCKS AND THEY ARE VERY WELL MADE BUT I HAVE FOUND THAT AMERICAN MADE AIR CRAFT CLOCKS ARE DIFFACULT TO REPAIR BECAUSE UNLIKE THEIR SWISS COUNTERPARTS THE PARTS ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE. I BELIEVE THE FI9NAL FITTING AND SIZEING WAS LEFT UP TO THE FINAL Assembly especialy the length of the ballance staff and the ballance staff pivots. eddie

Posts: 140 | Location: St. Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: June 11, 2008
posted
It is possibly a Waltham, but more likely it would be a Waltham Precision Instruments (different company, though WPI grew partially out of the remains of Waltham after Waltham went under in 1957). Normally, if these are military versions they will have markings on either the dial or on the back of the case or both. It is possible yours had case back markings that have since been removed. The only way to tell for sure what yours is would be to open it up and see what is stamped into the movement.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
posted
Hi,

the Swiss Thommen is airworthy qualified and commonly used since on old generation commercial aircrafts such DC9, MD80 etc mostly European based.

Possibly it could have also been used on some European military helo and aircraft depending on customer request (GFE) or OEM cockpit design.

Several version of this clock exist and depending on the part number dash have different features in time misurement.

Some version have the chrono counter (arrowed hand) advancing five lines every minute of chrono elapsed for better reading.

Better to ask Thommen which are the ones relevant to yr clock.

http://www.thommen.aero/standa...&haupt=26&language=1

rgds

Enzo

Posts: 285 | Location: Rome, Italy | Registered: May 19, 2005
posted
Here is the data sheet of the Q13.... with the various dash versions including modern NVIS, if you read, there is a version with non-stoppable continous elapsed time misurement such as yours.

http://www.thommen.aero/pix/Files/DB_Clock_B13.pdf

You may also contact them...

rgds

Enzo

Posts: 285 | Location: Rome, Italy | Registered: May 19, 2005