• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

1918 Elgin Military "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Here is another one of interest. 1918 Elgin military, 15 jewel movement, and a nickle Wadsworth case with fixed lugs.

Posts: 785 | Location: Tijeras, New Mexico USA | Registered: July 12, 2005
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Thanks for the picture of your WWI Elgin. A sharp looking watch. Is there any indication that it ever had radium on the dial or hands?

Some WWI vintage Elgin dials have been found with a date on the back which is assumed to be the date radium was applied to the numbers.

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Hello Gregg. No, I don't believe the porcelian dials ever had radium applied. The metal military dials that I have seen during this period have radium, but I have not seen the porcelian dials with radium. I also have a couple Elgins with white porcelian dials that do not have radium.

Posts: 785 | Location: Tijeras, New Mexico USA | Registered: July 12, 2005
posted
Would it be more accurate to call these types of watches "military style" rather than "military" as they were private purchase? I understand that the only true U.S. military wristwatches from WW I are the variations of the Corps of Engineers watches.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
That is a good point, Jim.

We have: 1.military issued, 2.private purchase watches used by military men, and 3.military style.

It appears that the earliest U.S. made mens wristwatches were primarily marketed for military men. That's true of this fine Elgin amoung other brands. Prior to WWI, wristwatches were not popular with American men. The war changed that. So, the earliest mens wristwatches have a more probable connection to the military than those made after 1918.

There has been some reasonable speculation that the U.S. Govt. purchased some Elgin and maybe other U.S. made wristwatches in 1918. While there is some indirect evidence to support this theory, we can't say for sure.

Thus, to be quite correct, if a watch has no direct connection to someone in service, and no issue marks, I think we might have to call the watch, "military style."

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Hello there... Thought I would include a WW1 Depollier advertisement showing Radium numbers.. This is from a 1916 Advertisement..

Posts: 98 | Location: Oviedo, Florida USA | Registered: June 13, 2005
posted
By the way I have had quite a few Porcelain Dials with the old radium still on them...

Posts: 98 | Location: Oviedo, Florida USA | Registered: June 13, 2005