Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton model 21 ship's chronometer "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Matthew E. Sutton
posted
I'm preparing to list my Hamilton Model 21 ship's chronometer for sale, but I wanted to give the 185'ers the first crack at it if there was some interest. It is number 27X, and comes with both the outer box and the aluminumn chronometer shiping container. Prestine condition, and a once in a life time opportunity as these become increasinglt rare. Please post your interest here so I can get a idea of if I should post here or on Ebay.

Posts: 495 | Location: Kailua, Hawaii in the USA | Registered: March 14, 2005
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
Matthew,

This one is on my wishlist so I'm a buyer. I saw the timing results for one on ebay recently: - 0.007 sec/day!

John III

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Hi Matt, I also have an interest. Smile

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
posted
What would the starting bid be.Those are worth some money.At a NAWCC mart I go to all the time there is a seller that all way's has them.He does have less of them and more of the model 22's.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hello Matt,

Count me in Smile there should be plenty of interest in our IHC185 Auctions.

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...s/a/frm/f/3426021842

Or if you want to sell it for a pre-determined price...

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...s/a/frm/f/6346095371

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I would love to see it for sale here but probably wouldn't last in the impending bidding war Big Grin.

A quick question though. The complete model 21's realize fairly high prices. What would the differences in price be between the model 21 in the shipping container only and the complete boxed version be.

Ray

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
posted
I have a 21, but it has a much higher serial number. I'd be interested in having a go at this one.

Posts: 18 | Location: Redmond, Washington in the USA | Registered: March 03, 2009
posted
I'm not sure about the different price ranges with or without boxes etc.. I se prices all over the place, when I see one for sale. I have to figure out what I paid for it and use that as a baseline. I was thinking somewhere around the $2500 range, but see them listed for more. Mine has a Gary Selick box with original hardware, and he also replaced the bottom of the outer box with a made to specs birch wood. (The bottoms on the outer boxes are almost always cracked or warped) I have the aluminum shipping container, balance lock tool, and a nice reprinted chronometer parts and repair manual...and an old Navy "E" effiecency pin that Hamilton earned for their WWII excellence for chronometer manufacturing.

BTW, just drove by the old Hamilton factory in Lancaster, PA a couple weeks ago, and the tower clock is still broken. It's a high end condo. building now, but what a shame.

posted
Ok, If anyone is still interesting in the 21, I have posted it on the
IHC185 auction site.
We'll see how she does. BTW, it also comes with a battle "E" pin that Hamilton from their significant contribution to the war effort.

posted
Any wisdom on my asking price is welcome.

posted
I'll tell you Matthew,
It is a fine chronometer, in great shape with a super low number. Your price seems to be reasonable but I think the starting price for an auction was just a bit too high. I understand though as you do need to cover your own investment.
Oh, wish I had the money, I'd sell mine in the shipping tub to have the complete one any day.

Ray

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
posted
Yes, starting price is a bit intimidating, however, below my 2003 investment, and the market.

I suppose I can always donate or sell it to the USS Missouri museum after it gets out of dry dock. Believe it or not, it does not have one model 21. (rates two).