• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Another find "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Got this in the post, pictures are from the seller.

Watch was working only when face up, dirty as heck and has no crystal. Inside the inner dust cover are 13 service marks from various watch men, signs of a well-loved piece.
I stripped it down, and cleaned the dial. As I thought, it came up pretty well with only one almost invisible hairline crack running from just below the R in "Lawrence" to just below the "10" in the sub dial.
The hands were rusty, and I gave them the biz with some wet & dry paper, and attached (temporarily until a new one that fits can be found) a piece off an old seconds hand to the broken one fitted.
I then stripped down the movement and pegged, cleaned and lubricated the jewels and pivot points, cleaned the ebauche (no name found, just numbers under the dial) and reassembled.
Working fine so far after 4 hours.
Cannot find anything about the "The Turret" name on the movement, but I have seen similar watches from before the Boer war and WW1 with names in this fashion and I guess it was aimed at the military market.

How it looks now, will get a new crystal fitted and find a new sub dial hand.

Here are adverts from similar models with names, aimed at the military man.
The similarity in advertising and use of a name in parentheses seems to back up my thoughts in this watch.

This is from 1893, The "Skirmisher".

And one many of you will have heard of, the Mappin & Webb "Campaign" watch.

The movement in the watch was made by Orion, a manufacturer used by many top brands at the time.

It uses a "moustache" type counterbalance lever, the same as below.
Denotes a higher quality movement, similar counterbalance levers can be found in LeCoultre and other higher quality movements in the 19th.C.

Cheers for looking.

Posts: 77 | Location: Ilkeston in England | Registered: March 22, 2013
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Great pictures and research. Many thanks.

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Great research and fascinating photos of old ads. Though keep in mind that these were not actually military timepieces in that they were not issued by any militaries to their soldiers. They were instead marketed in this way in hopes of some soldiers deciding to make a private purchase of one from a local jewelry store to take along with them in their service. This would be like the patron saint of soldiers medals (such as St. George, St. Martin, Ste. Jeanne, etc.) that were being sold by the same jewelry stores for soldiers to take with them. There were many such private purchase items offered to soldiers by private companies looking to cash in on the wars of the day. There still are today - not only with watches but all kinds of things such as knives and others.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
posted
Again, thank you for your comments gents.
You are right Jim, no watches were worn or carried by order until around 1916-17 in the British military.
Officers were recommended to carry/wear them though, at least as early as 1910, and maybe even earlier, as seen in this 1910 field service manual, under field kits (at the very bottom).

posted
Great information, thanks!

If you are interested in true military wristwatches that were issued to soldiers, here is a helpful discussion with some very nice examples of such official military issued wristwatches. They are something to be on the lookout for though don't expect to find them very often as they are pretty scarce. https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...141038851#6141038851

posted
Hi Jim, yes I am interested in genuine military watches, and have been a member of the MilitaryWatchResource (MWR) for around five years.
I have been lucky enough to find a W.W.W. Record watch on a flea market (car boot fair in UK!) for just £12, and was given a CWC 1990 issue G10 by a friend. I also had a Bulova 1943 issued Type A-11.
A pic of them along with an old non-mil below.

I also have a large eclectic collection of divers and other vintage and non-vintage watches too, and a couple of military WW2 issue pocket knives.
And a large collection of vintage and antique watch adverts!

posted
Good looking A-11, WWW and G10 Smile Relative to the Great War where there were very few issue wristwatches there were quite a few WW 2 issue watches and these three are nice examples. My favorite has always been the A-11 as those were issued in large numbers and were made by several makers. To me they are the first wristwatch I think of when I think of a WW 2 issue watch.