WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton Model 22 Chronometers. U.S.A.A.F cased style "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1550
posted
Hello everyone,

I was thinking of starting a topic involving the Hamilton Model 22 US Army Air force cased chronometers. I know there have been many discussions about this piece but there always seems to be an “unknown”. I have seen several examples by reviewing old threads and thought if we could link and harness the information together we might be able to answer some questions.

Information for the thread could include a photo (if desired), movement and case serial numbers, and rear case nomenclature, if any. Even if we could access to the Hamilton ledgers to use serial numbers and obtain the “finished” and “sold to the U.S. Gov’t.” date for comparison to one another’s watches. This could answer questions such as:

How many of the USAAF chronometers were actually made during war time and after? I have seen examples above the # 420 range of the supposed 420 reported by Hamilton during the war. It would be nice to find out how high the range actually goes in case numbers. I have also seen examples without any military markings on the rear case as well.

Were they all sold to the US Government at the same time or in different batches? Were the supposed initial 420 finished and sold during war time while the others post war? Is that why we have the magical 420 number from Hamilton?

Were the movements dated 1942 cased and sold prior to those dated 1943? It would be nice to find some sort of logic to the use of dated movement serial numbers with the case numbers issued. For hypothetical example case numbers 001-420 have 1942 movements while case numbers 420-???? use 1943 movements.

Is there a connection with the Hamilton ledger’s 64-???? number and the source to where these chronometers were sold to? If we could narrow down a certain code that may help in deciphering its meaning. Long shot but who knows!

And if any other members have questions regarding this particular style Hamilton model 22 they can be answered here…in one spot. I have seen photos of several member’s examples including Mr. Ronald Canaday, Mr. John Flahive III and Mr.Gerd Hoermedinger. Can we get all information from you gentlemen as well as any other examples we can gather for this thread. You never know…maybe we can answer some questions we all seem to have.

I will start with mine:
Rear case serial number: AF/45 - D – 202
Movement serial number: 2F23915 dated 1942
Keystone case number: 209314 inner case lid and 9314 front bezel thread
Hamilton ledger vender information: 64-2633 “finished” and “Sold to US Govt.” August 10th 1945

If we continue to gather information in this thread I will attempt to keep track with a summary for estimate purposes. All are invited to express their ideas and information. Thank you all!

Posts: 495 | Location: Southcoast Massachusetts | Registered: May 13, 2010
IHC Member 1550
posted
Watch in case for discription purposes

IHC Member 1550
posted
Movement

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
Michael,

Great post and great watch.

Here is a link to pictures of my USAAF Model 22:

Model 22 in Orig Box

It has the movement number 2F23802, which according to the Hamilton Ledgers was finished and sold on 9-2-48 to 58-69492 (no name).

That is about all the information I have on mine.

John III

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I no longer own mine but here is the information on it.

Rear case: Bureau of Ships
U.S. Navy
Letter "N" in a circle 8950-1943
Chronometer Watch
Movement serial number: 2F21534
Keystone case number: 18560
Hamilton ledger vender information: 64-2465 “finished” and “Sold to US Govt.” June 19, 1945

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
posted
Here is mine:

Rear case serial number: AF/45 - D – 1114
Movement serial number: 2F23959 dated 1943

If anybody can tell me more about my watch, it would be greatly appreciated. Based on the s/n, I thought it might be from inventory surplus.

Posts: 27 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: September 17, 2010
IHC Member 1550
posted
Hello Daniel,

Thank you for contributing to this thread. I fear the questions posed will never be answered as finding enough examples will be difficult. Yours is a very fine example. The purpose of this thread was to get more exposure to the USAAF model 22 as there seems to be so many unanswered questions regarding this particular chronometer.

During the war Hamilton’s official production records of the model 22 are:

11636 mounted versions for the U.S. Navy (gimbaled)
9815 un-mounted versions for the U.S. Navy (pocket watch style)
420 un-mounted versions for the Army Air Force (pocket watch style)
313 mounted versions for the Canadian Navy (gimbaled)
5 mounted versions for Maritime com. For Russia (gimbaled)

Unfortunately there is no information written in the Hamilton ledgers for your serial number. This could mean that your watch was never finished (obviously it was) or that your watch was sold to an unknown after the government stopped buying maybe in the 1947-1948 range which is more likely. Hamilton kept excellent records during wartime for the US Government purchased pieces but stopped keeping records at the end of 1948. It is likely your example was finished and sold after that but still not to be certain.

What I am trying to figure out is how many USSAF cased examples are there and if they were sold to the government in batches and when. Also try to pinpoint the vender code used by Hamilton in their ledgers. I think this attempt is futile as no one has been able to decipher these codes yet and Hamilton did not use any order or logic in issuing serial numbers…it was all random. A patient friend has been assisting me with the Hamilton ledger information and we will try to get as much information as we can when more examples surface.

The original intention of the USAAF Hamilton 22 was probably to be a master time source for others to set their navigational timepieces to such as the 4992B. Hamilton revolutionized the production method for chronometers when it was needed most by our Armed Forces during war. Before then chronometers were hand made and painstakingly assembled taking much time. Hamilton was able to mass produce parts my machine but assemble by hand assuring accuracy and quality. Plus most parts were interchangeable from one movement to another making repairs quicker and less costly.

Ultimately we need more examples for data. Thank you very much for sharing yours with us. This is a summary off this the information I could gather so far, still not enough for any answers:

Case # / Serial # / Hamilton Vender code / Sale date
202 / 2F23915 / 64-2633(US GOV)/ 8/10/45
216 / 2F23511 / No info / No info
253 / 2F20790 / 64-2622(US GOV) / 7/27/45
648 / 2F23802 / 58-69492 / 9/2/48
1061 / 2F25249 / No info / No info
1114 / 2F23959 / No info / No info

IHC Life Member
posted
Thank you Michael for the great effort in trying to get information about the USAAF Model 22s.

I'm just glad I can contribute. Smile

Best Regards, Dan

Posts: 27 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: September 17, 2010
posted
Hello Michael,

great idea, great post.

Here is a link to pictures of my Mod. 22.

Hamilton Mod. 22

Engravings on the caseback are:
CHRONOMETER WATCH
MFR'S PART. NO. 37615
SERIAL NO. AF/45 - D - 1061
P.O. NO. (33-038)45 - 13085 - AF
HAMILTON WATCH COMPANY

The movement's serial is 2F 25249.

Best regards
Gerd

Posts: 50 | Location: Vienna in Austria | Registered: December 17, 2008
posted
These are really nice timepieces and thanks to Michael for starting this thread to pool everyone's resources to try to discover some good information about them.

One thing that has bothered me is the reported number of them that went to the U.S. Army Air Forces during WW 2. As is mentioned above the records seem to say it was 420. This seems to be a rather small number given the number of aircraft the U.S. had in the war. For example, the big aircraft where something like this kind of timepiece would have been used numbered in the many thousands. For example, the U.S. built 12,731 B-17 bombers; 18,482 B-24 bombers; 3,970 B-29s; and so on through all of the different types of large Army Air Forces aircraft. In theory all would have needed a master timepiece to keep all of the aircrafts other timepieces set to the correct time on the long missions they flew. If the original contract for these was in the early part of the U.S. involvement in the war - 1942 - why were so few actually purchased for such a large number of aircraft that would have used them?

One other thought - it might not be entirely accurate to call these U.S.A.A.F. timepieces. The reason is that they seem to range from around 1942 to 1948. The U.S. Army Air Forces went out of existance on September 18, 1947 and a new independent branch of the U.S. military was created - the U.S. Air Force - which absorbed that part of the Army that had formerly been the U.S.A.A.F. Any examples that were delivered after September 18, 1947 should be called U.S.A.F. timepieces.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
IHC Member 1550
posted
Mr. Hoermedinger,
Thank you for the added information and contribution to this thread. I hope to add more examples as they surface to hopefully find trends and some answers. Thanks again for your help. Very nice example by the way.

Mr. Hester,
One other thought is that maybe one USAAF chronometer was meant to stay on the ground base and master navigational watches like the 4992B went off of it from there into the skies. I have always been quite impressed with the power reserve of my 4992B and it closely rivals my chronometer. The hack set feature is so easy to use on the 4992B that it would be quite easy during briefing to coordinate all master nav timepieces off of the stationary cased chronometer that was left behind

Also just the watch is held in the single box, not double boxed or gimbaled to protect it from damage or rough seas. It seems it was designed to be stationary on a flat surface and not jostled about like on a sea vessel or aircraft. The metal carrying case for the 4992B is the perfect example of a housing for a watch that is intended to be airborne with tremendous vibration but to accommodate a sensitive instrument.

I am sure the 420 number would come closer (either more or less) to the USAAF bases during that time, rather than to the number of aircraft in service throughout the war. I am sure there are more than 420 examples of this particular USAAF chronometer in question but maybe this was the number ordered from Hamilton just during wartime. More may have been ordered or more made in reserves for preparation for a reorder and just never issued. These were more likely to be sold as surplus privately.

I have yet found an example that has been sold to the US Government (64 code) after 1945 by serial number in the Hamilton ledgers. Maybe all the cases were marked prior to the USAAF change to the USAF. Another unknown. All questions that deserve answers. Thank you all for your contributions to this thread. I hope for more!

IHC Member 1550
posted
Here is one on eBay right now. Looks like # 164 to me from the photos. I wish the movement serial number could be accessed. Case looks a little rough but original. Regards, Mike

Looks like the price has been dropping almost every day.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hamilt...&hash=item45ff12c253

Picture of Karl Hellberg
posted
High there.This is my first Post. I recently purchased an Army Model 22 in the original wood cases. After a little research on the internet im facinated with the history of this watch.
This watch and the case's are in remarkable condition for their age. The dial shows some slight toning.
The back is engraved "Bereau of Ships", "US Navy",Circle N 6742-1942
The inner Case Keystone Base Metal 901228
The movement is U.S. Navy-BU. Ships-1942 2F21973
The front of the case is marked #1228
The Dial Has "Property US Army" printed across the center between The words "Hamilton" and "Lancaster,Pa.USA"
If Any one can tell me any information about this watch i would be grateful. When i figure out how to up load some pictures i will.

Posts: 5 | Location: Logan, Utah in the USA | Registered: August 14, 2011
IHC Member 1550
posted
Hello Karl and WELCOME!

Your have come to the right place for information regarding these wonderful timepieces. There is plenty of information to access. Just put in your search "Hamilton 22" or "Model 22" and you will be on your way! This particular thread examines and hops on the Army Air Force issued Model 22 which is just like yours but with a slightly different carrying box and rear case markings. Please see photos above of examples. Your "US Army" example is a rarer breed as I have only seen 1 or 2 with Army dial markings. These "Army" versions I assume are extras or surplus that were not used by the Navy after WWII and given to the Corps of Engineers for logistical/timing reasons. I am assuming these markings are on the dial. Would love to see photos. Lots of good people here. Welcome again. Mike

Does your chronometer resemble something like this?

Picture of Karl Hellberg
posted
Your picture Looks like mine

Picture of Karl Hellberg
posted
Heres a few more

Picture of Karl Hellberg
posted
The Back