• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

hamilton 22 "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
i have recently aquired several model 22s one is still in the original sealed cardboard box from hamilton these items have been in storage since 1946 would this piece be more valuable to a collector in the undisturbed sealed box

Posts: 14 | Location: Florida in the USA | Registered: December 25, 2012
posted
Every collector has their own way of collecting and their own aspects that are important to them. For example, I personally am one of the segment of military timepiece collectors who wants timepieces that were actually used during a war and I like to imagine the kind of history there is in the timepieces that were used. Of course there are others who collect mint or never issued military timepieces as examples of the watchmaker's art and who want things in as pristine a condition as possible, along with their shipping boxes. Since your Model 22 is still in its sealed box, my suggestion would be to keep it that way and let the person you sell it to decide whether to keep it that way or open it to see it. Though you might run into some people who might not bid on it since there is no way to tell exactly what is actually in the box or its condition without opening it. It is a tough call and I am not sure there is any 'right' answer since every collector is a bit different.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
posted
thankt you for your response jim.i concure it is a very personal and individual decision.as i stated in my previous post,i have several of these pieces.i personally broke the seal on one,and the item is in mint condition visually.i wound it and it runs perfectly although i am sure it would be prudent for the new owner to have it serviced.since these pieces have been in storage since 1946 and are in the original hamilton factory cardboard shipping box i assume they are military surplus and never saw active duty during w.w.II.if possible i would like to know more about these pieces.i have not as of yet opened the back so i cant provide the s.n.on the movement.here is what is on the back[CHRONOMETER WATCH,MFR'S PART NO.37615,SERIAL NO.A/F45-563 ,P.O.NO.(33-038)45-13085-AF,HAMILTON WATCH COMPANY ]i assume according to the s.n.on the back this item was manufactured in 1945,and was sold as military surplus.the watch is housed in the standard wooden box.i have seen used 22's sell on ebay for anywhere from $362.00 to $2000.00.in your opinion,if i placed the piece in the sealed box at auction what price might i expect it to bring?thank you for any information you could provide.

posted
It could also be post-war. The 1945 number means that it was ordered at sometime in 1945 but it could also have been part of a shipment that these were being made for delivery in late 1945 or even 1946. It took a while for production to end when the war stopped. It is also possible that they were never delivered and were put together from remaining parts at the factory to be sold to the public if they were part of a cancelled contract as no longer being needed by the Army Air Force and of course Hamilton would not have just thrown its already made parts out in the trash.

As for Ebay prices, the $2000 figure you mention is in my opinion a shill bid number, though I stand to be corrected if anyone here has actually sold one for that recently. As you say you see them sold for as low as $362 and a great many in the $400 to $600 range all day long so why anyone who has the least familiarity with Ebay and watches the prices for an item that they are looking to buy would willingly pay four times the going price is a big red warning flag to me. The ones that show as being sold in the $1000 to $2000 range tend to be ones where there are a silly high number of bids, anywhere between 20 and 45 bids with most of them being successive bids by the same bidder which is often (not always) a sign of the seller jacking up the bids on their own auction. Also, there are a number of Buy It Now sales with those very high prices that seem to be from the same or same small group of sellers which suggests they sellers are buying them from themselves to try to create an image of higher than actual value. Of the auctions that seem legitimate, the ones that are in the $600 to $1000 range are the Navy ones that are in their gimbaled double boxes or similar carrying boxes that on their own without the watch sell for several hundred dollars. You will attract buyers who are looking for mint never used examples and as I mentioned there are collectors who want that, but you will not attract the collectors who want the timepieces that tell a story of being in the war with ghosts in the movements. It is hard to say what the selling price will be, so your only way to tell would be to put one up for auction, provide many really high quality photos including of the movement, start the auction low to get real bidders going and see where it tops out at.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
posted
thank you again for the valuable information jim

IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
Hello Larry I'm guessing yours are the ones that look like a Pocket watch. Because you did not state that they where in any kind of Wooden Box. I just did a complete listing check on these.

Here is a link Model 22

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Here is a link to the second one. #2

IHC Life Member
posted
I don't know if you have sold much on eBay or not. But the problem selling an item on ebay like this that is in a sealed box with no photos that show the actually watch is you do not have a leg to stand on if the buyer simply opens up the package takes out the watch then files a claim against you. That you sold him a box with a rock inside.

These kind of sales would have to be with someone you trust dearly. The reason I posted links and photos of ended watches is that most folks that check prices of watches on ebay do not even know how to get to those pages. If you are one of those experienced sellers Than you are more than qualified to know exactly what they sold for.

If you are a collector / seller of watches. You might want to think about Joining this great organization for as little as $1.00 a month.

posted
thank you for the information eugene.i am new to ownership of the hamilton model 22's i possess,and i know nothing of buying and selling on ebay.as i stated in a previous posting,i have obtained several of the hamiltons and i personally broke the seal on one of the factory shipping box.the piece inside is housed in the standard wooden boxes provided by hanilton.the piece is in the same mint condition as the day it was placed in the shipping box.i dont want to break the seal on the other boxes because that is the undisputed evidence of the watches new,never been out of the shipping boxes mint condition.what i plan to do is to take the piece in the unsealed box have the back base plate removed by a jeweler/watch repair person and access the s.n. on the movement,take several images and post them.my desire is to sell the pieces in the sealed boxes to a collector that wants a (new,never been used)example of the model 22.i would offer it as satisfaction that the item is as offered,but as you stated i would not want want some dishonest person to claim i did not sell them a new,never been used piece.how can i go about selling the watch in the sealed box and still protect my interests?any ideals? my assumption is since the unsealed box contained a new model 22 it stands the possibility of the unsealed box containing a new model 22 is good

IHC Member 1357
posted
Larry,if you are looking for honest buyers, I would join this organization,as Eugene suggested,post them here for sale with a reserve.I really doubt that you would be taken advantage of.You could not find a more honest group of folks anywhere.
Regards,Roger

Posts: 4093 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
posted
thank you roger,for the input.i think i will follow your advice and and become a member.i obviously want to maximise my selling price for these pieces.i wont say the purchase of one of these pieces would be a once in a lifetime oppertunity for the buyer,because i dont know how often the chance to obtain a new,never been used,sealed in the original shipping box mint condition example of a hamilton model 22 deck watch comes around.i feel fairly sure it is a rare offer so i want to give the chance to possess it to someone who would appreciate it if my reserve is obtained.im going to tender my application for membership,once that is accomplished i will list the item on the ihc 185 site with images of the piece i opened from the unsealed box so any potiental buyer can see the condition that is to be expected from the watches in the sealed box.i would like to recieve input from members/collectors as to what price i could expect for an offering at auction of the pieces in the sealed boxes.i would obviously give the buyer a satisfaction money back guarantee that the item in the sealed box is new,never been used and the s.n. on the back cover matches the s.n. on the sealed original hamilton shipping box.thanks in advance for any helpful input from members.

IHC Life Member
posted
As Jim stated earlier It takes a very limited Buyer. I personally would not be a buyer.

I do beleve that there are some heavy hitters that would be thrilled to have a chance to be the owner of a unopened boxed Model 22.

Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Larry, you will not be able to list your beautiful model 22 for sale here on 185 without first becoming a member.
For $1.00 a month, $12 a year (less than a cup of coffee) it just appears to be an absolute no brainer.

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
posted
thanks for your response phillip,i joined ihc 185 last night i'm now a member.i'm going to a jeweler today to have the back base plate removed on the unsealed 22's so i can obtain the s.n. on the movements.later i'll have a friend help me take several good images (pictures)and i will post them for interested members consideration.

Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Larry, good deal, Anything that I may help you with just give me a shout.

philsanchez2020@gmail.com

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Can't wait to see the picture and Larry you can
set the reserve on your watch so you know
you will get the bottom price for sure.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Please post some pictures when you get time and I would be a bidder if you sell one or more on this site.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
posted
went to the jeweler today,had the back base plate removed from AF/45-D-563[this is one of the pieces i broke the seal on.the s.n.on the movement is (2F22983)/U.S.NAVY-BU SHIPS-1943.i will see if i can get some images posted before the weekend.

posted
thank you peter and buster i'll get some pictures up as soon as i'm able to do so.

LINK TO LATER TOPIC:

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...0103944/m/3363975677