Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Breitling Chronograph with Exotic Bow "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
A local jeweler offered to sell me the Breitling chronograph today. The watch looks to be in very good condition, except that it has the most exotic bow I ever recall seeing on a pocket watch, a bow that seems utterly out of keeping with this watch's seemingly military roots. Is it conceivable that the bow is original? What do the military markings signify? Is the jeweler's price of $1500 realistic (considering I bought my nearly identical looking and functioning Hamilton 23 for $340 a few years ago).

Here is the dial and the exotic bow. (I apologize for the picture quality.)

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Another shot of the dial side.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
The movement.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
The back.

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
according to this eBay sale Ethan,three times too much Eek , best wishes,Tom Wink

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAP...55701#ht_2117wt_1141

Actually on doing the conversion at todays exchange it is closer to four than to three times too high Ethan Roll Eyes
258.00 GBP = 411.716 USD
British Pound US Dollar

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Member 1550
posted
Hello Ethan,
That is a nice Breitling you have an interest in. But like Tom mentioned the asking price is steep. There are many examples out there......I do not have one but I do have a Hamilton Model 23. I paid $500 for mine in a private purchase which I think is steep as well but mine included the original contracted box and cloth bad it was held in.
Now regarding the questionable bow......every example I have seen of Breitling Chronographs of this style have had the same style bow as probably on your Hamilton 23 and as mine. I think that bow might be a replacement or changed to a style that suited the owner of the time. Bows are easy enough to change and take only seconds. I have included a photo of my Hamilton for reference and bow comparison. I am NO authority on Breitlings but I do not think the bow is not original military.....that is only my opinion and not worth much. My best, Mike

Posts: 495 | Location: Southcoast Massachusetts | Registered: May 13, 2010
posted
Hi Ethan,
your watch is a Ref 5605A, probably a Wakmann/Breitling with the wrong bow. What are the markings on the bridge? If its a Breitling, then it would be marked as Breitling Watch Corp and on the balance bridge marked BOW, like this;

If its a Breitling with all the Breitling markings, it´s very rare indeed and underestimated, as they were only issued for a short while in 1952 and imported from Switzerland. We have been tracking these watches for quite a while and here´s our result;

All the watches, whether Wakmann or Breitling have Breitling impressed on the dial, like this, notice "SWISS" under center hands;

If its a Wakmann, the balance bridge would be marked WOG, although I have a Wakmann where the balance bridge is marked BOW. This was probably changed during service, as all parts are identical.These watches were made in the USA by Wakmann, under license from Breitling. Wakmann, you should know was the sole importer of Breitling watches from the 40´s onward.
Here is an example of the nomenclature of both Breitling and Wakmann 605A watches

WATCH NAVIGATIONAL STOP
AN PART NO. 5742-1
STOCK NO. R88 W0590-000-000
MANUFATURER`S PART NO. 605 A
MANUFACTURER`S SERIAL NO. 9218
CONTRACT NO. 5273
BREITLING WATCH CORPORATION
U.S. PROPERTY

WATCH NAVIGATIONAL STOP
AN PART No 5742-1
STOCK No GC 6645-241-3280
MANUFACTURER`S PART No 605 - A
CONTRACT No DA-36-038-ORD-20810
WAKMAN WATCH COMPANY INC., N.Y.C
U.S. PROPERTY

So you see, it´s not every Breitling, that is a Breitling, hence the difference in pricing.

I have both, the Wakmann and the Breitling,
both of mine are ref 605A,

Here is my Wakmann 605A, notice no "SWISS" under the center hands;

and here is my Breitling 605A

Regards

My WWW collection is now complete, time to look for new ventures!

Posts: 699 | Location: Hannover in Germany | Registered: July 23, 2009
posted
quote:
Posted June 25, 2011 15:28
according to this eBay sale Ethan,three times too much Eek , best wishes,Tom Wink

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAP...55701#ht_2117wt_1141

Actually on doing the conversion at todays exchange it is closer to four than to three times too high Ethan Roll Eyes
258.00 GBP = 411.716 USD
British Pound US Dollar

Tom as you can see, the watch sold was a Wakmann, not a pure Breitling. Not many people know the difference, you do now though and if you can find a Breitling for $400´s snap it up, it would be a bargain! Wink

Marvin Whitney depicted these watches in his book Military Timepieces on pages 359-361.

Here is a picture out of a the Wakmann catalogue from 1966 and a picture out of a catalogue from 1946 of a very similar watch;

My WWW collection is now complete, time to look for new ventures!

Posts: 699 | Location: Hannover in Germany | Registered: July 23, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Thanks, all. I never intended to buy this watch. I was just curious about it. I generally limit my collecting to elegant solid gold or platinum watches. Hence, this watch was not in my collecting focus. Even if it were the weird bow was enough of a turnoff, not to mention the inflated price.