Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

WWII Soviet Military Wristwatch "Click" to Login or Register 
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Hello everyone, or should I say: Всем привет!

Here is an example of the Soviet Kirova watch movement. It was used in pocket watches, wristwatches and small clocks. It is basically a Hampden, 16 size pocket watch movement as manufactured in Moscow after the Soviet government purchased the assets of the bankrupt Duber Hampden watch co. in the early 1930's.

This example was made in 1943 as a wristwatch. It required a good cleaning and a new mainspring. You may not be able to find an original Russian made mainspring, however a 16 size Duber-Hampden mainspring works perfectly.

Posts: 1990 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
The watch is now complete and running properly. I left the old plastic crystal in place. If it was turning yellow I would replace it because the type of plastic which turns yellow causes watch hands to rust.

Notice the serial number on the dial. This is an indication that this watch was issued by the Soviet Military. Most Kirov/Kirova watches will not have a serial number on the dial. Another thing to notice is that the dial has not been refinished. For quite a few years it has been hard to find an honest early Soviet watch that has not been fitted with a new or refinished dial. A little worn or scratched is ok with me as long has it's original.

Posts: 1990 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002