• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Replating cases on military watches "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I am new to watch collecting so please forgive my ignorance. I like railroad watches so I check ebay and other sites for potential purchases. Most of the cases on WW II military pocket watches that were actually used, are in bad shape. Would replating those cases destroy the integrity of the watch? Most 16s railroad watches have 10K gold-filled cases, that seem to have held up pretty well. I would like to buy a military watch some day, say a Hamilton 4992B, but I hesitate to spend a lot on a watch with a really worn-looking case.

Posts: 148 | Location: Seattle, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
posted
All you have to do is wait for the right one to come along and put the most you are willing to pay at the last minute here is one I got off flea-bay a few years ago.

it's the Elgin version of the 4992B and I got a few that look well used like a pair of hamilton 2974B's comparing watches that show's they were well used in WW2 and after by the Navy I keep them most of the time the way I get them.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
posted
That's probably good advice. Usually if you see a watch that seems cheap, it has problems, so you're better off to pay a little more for one that's in good shape.

Posts: 148 | Location: Seattle, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
posted
It is up to each collector but I tend to see two groups - those who prefer as pristine of an example as possible, and those who are happy with an example that shows actual use during the war. I think both groups are equally right for collecting the way they do.

I put myself in the second group - the history behind a military timepiece is as important to me as having it be in working condition. I like to think about an aircraft clock having been in the instrument panel that a pilot relied on for fighting or recon work, or a watch that a soldier relied on in battle to time his attack, or a ship timepiece that was onboard serving its role during action timing a torpedo or a depth charge or when to break radio silence or such. For me a military timepiece needs patina and evidence of its intended use and as such needs to be as original as possible while still being in working condition. I would not consider replating a case, re-luming a dial, or other cosmetic restorations.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Robert your topic struck a chord with me today as I have started to clean and service my Hamilton 2974 . . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The case covers and movement testify to a well-used watch. This is a Naval Observatory certified Comparator watch for navigation and daily operation of a WWII and possibly Korean Conflict era US Navy Ship.

I share with Jim Hester my respect for the wear marks which testify this watch's proud service. These wear marks mean the same to me as those 20 or 30 watch inspector's service marks you will find in the case cover of a well used 2-generation old RR watch!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Its cleaned now, and this is what I visualize as one of it's past workplaces;

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Of course all cleaned up it still looks much the same, those old salt air stains on the movement are permanent reminders of it's past.

posted
I have a new respect for the signs of wear and tear. They prove that the watch had a life before it became a collectible.