Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Salesmans Case for a 4992B? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
Hi, Can anyone tell me for sure if Hamilton made a salesmans case for the 4992B? I have a 4992B 22 Jewels with the black G.C.T. 24 hour dial. The serial number is 4C120070. I know that it not a cut out, and the back glass is larger than the front cover, so it is not interchangeable. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hi Larry,

So far as I know, there were no "sample" or exhibition cases as such for the 4992B but what you are referring to can be done. In other words, it is possible to use a bezel on both the front and back so you end up being able to view the movement and what amounts to replacement bezels do exist. In unusual circumstances a back can be cut out and a crystal installed, if you have a bezel on each side and the back crystal is of a noticeably larger diameter than the front that would likely indicate the back cover was modified, cut out to accept a crystal because the back was in offensive condition. It would not be appropriate to call it a "salesman's" case but rather a modified case.

When selling a watch with a case that has been modified I believe it is important that we represent what we are really selling rather than create some sort of "smoke-and-mirrors" phantasy.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
There is a salesman watch it has the same type time core, but back is glass . I want it but it was to high for me it went for about 800 hundred on ebay.
It was very nice. I bet it kept great time being that it never was in harms way. You are telling about the 24 hour face military gtc pocket watch.

I do not think you can just pick one up very rare, however if you get a front glass one and just put on the back , it will fit. That way you be able to see the watch parts in front and back.

Hope this helps,

Posts: 5 | Location: Norfolk, Virginia in the USA | Registered: May 01, 2010
posted
Sorry, It was 495 not 800 and it was a salesman watch with clear front and back with box. This is a link to the watch. You will have to go to about 3/4 of the page down.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...geName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Roger,

Welcome to IHC185 Membership and participation!

The one Larry asked about above with the "back glass larger than the front cover" is the eBay item you saw, it turns out that was Larry's auction. Frankly, in my opinion it was not appropriate to call it a "salesman sample" or "original" because as I explained previously in this topic, originally no such thing existed. Apparently the case was modified and what's more the box is unrelated to that movement.

I do not believe you would have been pleased with the auction example.

Lindell

Wink

Look before you leap Eek and always look very, very closely...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thank you for the help. I would have not want to buy a bad watch.

I want to thank Lindell for helping me finding a watchmaker that I could trust my 4992 military pocket watch to. I been wanting to have the watch repaired for over a year, however, I did not want to trust the watch to anyone. Lindell, thanks for welcoming me aboard and help me to use the site.