Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Leonidas Chronograph wristwatch "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1550
posted
Hello all,

I just aquiered this Leonidas Chronograph. I am looking for information about the movement (Landeron caliber 48) such as its history, dates manfucatured and any more information available regarding the Leonidas Watch Co. I do know the usual internet search results which is a very brief history including its founder and joining the Heuer Watch company in the 1960's. Can anyone give me more information about the watch like its possible manufacture date. I'm thinking 1940's. Does this watch belong on the Military Timepiece section? I have attacted some photos of its face and side as well a movement photo. Thanks for all the help experts!

Posts: 495 | Location: Southcoast Massachusetts | Registered: May 13, 2010
IHC Member 1550
posted
Movement photo:

posted
Hi Michael. That is a really nice looking watch. I know very little about this maker but I am sure some of the others here will be able to give you some good information on it. The one thing that I can observe is that it appears to have radium paint on the numbers and hands. Assuming this is correct it would likely be sometime before the early to mid 1950s since that is about the timeframe that people began to understand that making watches with radium paint was not a good idea and they switched to other materials.

I do not see any military markings on the dial or movement. Is there anything on the case back that is not shown? My expectation is that any watch without military markings is going to be civilian with a 'military look' to help with its marketing. Timepieces were fairly expensive bits of miltiary gear that could easily go astray and so marking them fully was a fairly easy way to ensure they stayed where they belonged.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
IHC Member 1550
posted
Hi Jim,
No there are no marking on the rear case back at all. I asked if this watch topic could be transfered to the military discussion area due to its look and feel of the piece. It did start out in the wristwatch topic area but did not get much attention there. Hopefully there is a member that has more information about this company and movement. Thanks again for all your help.

posted
Hi Michael, your watch is a civilian version, just like mine.
Landeron 48

Features
manual-wind chronograph, 60s, 30/45min, cam switched
sub second

Data
13.75''', Dm= 31mm
H= 6.2mm
17 jewels
f = 18000 A/h
power reserve 42h
Remarks
1937-1970, >3.500.000 (all derivatives based on Landeron 48)
There were various chrono mechanisms. And as their parts often were interchangable, occasionally series were produced with parts of different calibres.

family:
48: 13.75'''
54: 14'''
56: 14''', calendar
58: 13.75''', calendar

Example, year: signature; shock device
ca. 1955: Swiss Made, 17 Jewels; Incabloc
Plenty to read and loads of links here;
Landeron
landeron-breitling
Landeron Uhrforum

My WWW collection is now complete, time to look for new ventures!

Posts: 699 | Location: Hannover in Germany | Registered: July 23, 2009
posted
Great information, Werner! I like both of your examples, especially the one with the white dial.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
IHC Member 1550
posted
Thank you Werner for that wonderful information. It is always a plus for me to know such information. Our chronographs are quite similar. Thanks again, Mike