• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Longines Weems "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi Guys, newbie to this forum. I am trying to get info on this recent Weems box lot find in bits as seen. The wings image on the dial is I understand the US Air Corp. I have looked everywhere for a similar dial on a Weems but nothing as yet. Also, the bezel lock at 4 is missing which seems to be the norm with these but I have heard there was someone re producing them, again I can find nothing so far, any help appreciated, thanks

Posts: 3 | Location: Brisbane in Australia | Registered: February 24, 2013
posted
VERY VALUABLE FIND, HUNT LIKE MAD AND GET IT GOING!!

Posts: 5101 | Location: Buffalo, New York in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2009
posted
I´ve never seen one with that movement, very interesting. I only know them like this:

Or like this;

My WWW collection is now complete, time to look for new ventures!

Posts: 699 | Location: Hannover in Germany | Registered: July 23, 2009
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Nice watch. I'd be inclined to send the dial off to be refinished. And keep looking for an original replacement.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
posted
quote:
The wings image on the dial is I understand the US Air Corp.

No. The U.S. Army Air Corps (which became the U.S. Army Air Force on March 9, 1942) used as their emblem a dark blue circle with a white 5-pointed star inscribed inside with the star's 5 points each reaching the edge of the blue circle, and then filling the center of the white star with a red circle. Here is what it looks like:

The emblem that has been added to your dial is an image of the badge that was awarded to US Army Air Corps pilots and is called "pilot's wings". However, it is also the exact image of the badge that has been awarded to U.S. Army and U.S. Air Force pilots from around 1920 to today. U.S. Navy pilot's wings have a different design, as are the wings awarded to U.S. Army pilots since 1947 when the U.S. Air Force was created as an independent military organization. As such this image of a U.S. wings badge does not provide a clue to a date other than sometime between 1920 and today. Of course the watch itself and its serial number provide a very good indication of the age of the watch.

Likewise, this particular wings badge image does not indicate whether this particular watch was issued by the U.S. military as it was commonly used by commercial interests to help with marketing their goods. Since the movement is not marked with U.S. military markings and the back is likewise not so marked my fist thought is your example is likely a commercially sold one.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
posted
Thanks Werner, in the photo of the movement there should be a bridge over the second hand pinion which I later found in the box of bits and fitted, I will try and update this with another photo next week. Also, this movement had the bezel locking screw at 4. On your locking screw, would you say it is the original and if so, what is it's make up please and how does it actually function, I would like to get a copy made up for mine

Hi Dave, thanks for your comment. I am happy with the dial as is and would say it is original, the wings motive probably being added by an original retailer or even an enthusiastic new owner when purchased and is part of the watches history.

Hi Jim, thanks for all your info and I tend to agree, the wings emblem being added by a retailer in the US to improve sales, it's certainly not a US military issue watch although quite possibly owned by a member of the military

Cheers Phil

Posts: 3 | Location: Brisbane in Australia | Registered: February 24, 2013
posted
quote:
although quite possibly owned by a member of the military

Yes, that is a possibility. Pilots were typically officers and were better paid so they could afford to buy fancy watches to wear in place of their more dreary official military issue ones.

For example, I have my father's wartime watch (he was a Squadron Commander with the U.S. Army Air Corps in Africa then US Army Air Force in India). It is a really nice private purchase Swiss watch made by 'Clive'. I also have a swagger stick that he bought and flew with 'for luck' that of course is not military issue either. And I also have his uniform which was made by a private tailor and it has a shoulder emblem made out of velvet and gold and silver wire embroidery that is not military issue either. These are the sorts of things young officer pilots during the war would buy, wear and carry since they could get away with not being 'by the book' by pleading war-time shortages 'required' them to improvise while all the time they were laughing behind the backs of the 'stick in the muds' who tried to get them to wear only the official uniform.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004