WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Military? Alpina chronograph marked " P.E.N. #70" information wanted "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
This is the Alpina Chronograph I bought today and I need information about it and the meaning of the marks on the outside of the case which is marked .800 solid silver on the inside,thanks for any info you can offer-Tom

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted

posted
Hi Tom.

Very nice watch.

I do not know what P.E.N. stands for as I have never seen it in any references. Hopefully someone here will know as I, too, would like to learn.

My initial thought is that it is not military, but it is some kind of institutional organization. It could be from a company that needed to have a number of this kind of timepiece for its employees to do their work, or perhaps from a steamship line or the like. The number carved in the lower area, the 70, would likely be the organization's control number for this particular watch. The low number suggests a private organization as it would be uncommon to see a military serial number that low, though it is possible of course.

If it is military my initial thought would be that it could be from a Spanish speaking country's Army. My reasoning for this is the E.N. could stand for Ejército Nacional which translates roughly as National Army. In this case the P would stand for the name of the country. The only three I can think of off the top of my head that are Spanish speaking are Perú, Panama, and Paraguay. However, these do not make complete sense to me since normally the country's name would follow rather than precede the E.N. For example the correct name for the Peruvian army is the Ejército Nacional del Peru and not the Peru Ejército Nacional.

Anyway, I hope to learn from someone more knowledgable what the P.E.N. actually stands for.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
A well reasoned opinion my friend,and I thank you for your input Wink