Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin wristwatch on ebay "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
I'm not sure if this is military, has the grill that protects the crystal. Not my area of interest, thought someone here might want to give it a look.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintag...&hash=item3f10c7d944

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
posted
Thanks, Gary. It is not military but rather military style civilian watches which were very popular at the time. There is always the chance that some soldier or soldier's family bought it for the soldier at some jewelry store and he wore it during the war, but that does not make it military anymore than the rabbit's foot he may have bought and carried with him for luck was a military rabbit's foot. The other thing is that there is a cottage industry these days in adding these kinds of grills to watches from the era to increase their market value. I have no idea if that is the case in this particular auction, but if one is interested in a wristwatch because it has a grill it is something a careful purchaser will want to examine.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004