WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Can anyone please run down a serial number for me. "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Skip Glascock
posted
I am interested to know in what years a model 21 Hamilton chronometer was released. The serial number is 2E11978, no circle N number on the dial, so I assume later, maybe 50s.

Thanks in advance.

Skip glascock

Posts: 240 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: August 26, 2011
posted
Date to finishing was 3-6-51 according to the Hamilton ledgers, but there are no sale details (not even a date sold) against it.

Which probably explains why no military markings.

Got any pics?

Bob Walder

Posts: 152 | Location: Austin, Texas USA | Registered: February 18, 2016
Picture of Skip Glascock
posted
Thanks Bob for your fast answer but I wasn't high bidder, maybe next time.

Thanks again.

Skip

Posts: 240 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: August 26, 2011
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
After the war Hamilton sales fell significantly for their chronos, but up until 1949, sales quotas continued to be met for all of their chronos. Then "saturation" began to take place in the market places. The last 4 production runs of the Hamilton Model 21's sales of 100 piece lots began to taper off, finally dwindled to near nothing;

2E11901-2E11999 made/sold 1949-1951= 10% UNSOLD
2E12001-2E12099 made/sold 1949-1951= 26% UNSOLD
2E12101-2E12199 made/sold 1951-1955= 65% UNSOLD
2E12201-2E12299 made/sold 1954-1955= 93% UNSOLD

What remained UNSOLD then went into Hamilton's stagnant inventory. Hamilton's records went downhill from there on the Model 21's and I'm sure the remaining inventory was sold to jewelers and/or parted out to parts houses. The U.S. Navy Observatory was a repair and distributing center for these chronometers among others. Battleships & airplane carriers had 3 chronometers and the ship's navigator & boatswain's mates were responsible for transporting the chronometers to/from shore. The U.S. Navy sold off all their remaining chronometers in 1985, and of course Hamilton has been out of business since late 1960's where any of their inventory of these parts was trashed or auctioned off Frown

When GPS satellites crash & burn and/or get jammed, radar signal lost and computers down, mariners and others that require navigation will have to look to the stars once again for navigation that Magellan mastered, perfected, and navigated with back in 1400-1500 Wink

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
posted
I just acquired a WW2 sextant so I can use it along with my Model 21 chronometer figure out whereabouts in Texas I am..... this is such a BIG state.

When I lived in south of France I could drive 8 hours and be back in my home country (UK). In Texas, I can drive 8 hours and still be in the same **** state!!!

Still.... the weather makes it worthwhile... and those southern gals, of course Wink

Bob Walder

Posts: 152 | Location: Austin, Texas USA | Registered: February 18, 2016
posted
Thanks for the interesting numbers and thoughts, Buster. My guess is that after the war when the military downsized so dramatically they had no need for all of the ones they had purchased and must have let many of them go to surplus.

Posts: 871 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
"When GPS satellites crash & burn and/or get jammed, radar signal lost and computers down, mariners and others that require navigation will have to look to the stars once again for navigation that Magellan mastered, perfected, and navigated with back in 1400-1500 Wink"

Big Grin

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008