• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

cuckoo squeaks "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
When working on cuckoo clocks I've often heard a squeak that coincides with the pendulum swing and I've never been able to to find it. It seems like a little oil would take care of it but it doesn't. Any suggestions?

Posts: 7 | Location: Massachusetts in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2007
posted
Hi Gary

Try a drop of vicous oil at the point I marked on the picture (where the fork or needle eye meets the pendulum rod).

Regards Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
Gary,

If Gerald's tip doesn't do the trick, listen closely to the escapement!

Sometimes the working angles aren't quite right between the escape wheel tips and pallet faces, or the pallet surfaces a bit rough, so the escapement will sometimes squeak as teeth slide along pallet faces!

This noise Always coincides with the pendulum swing!

A small spot of oil on the tooth tips will generally stop this if the job won't stretch to a full strip to remedy!

Ensure too that all escape wheel teeth are square to the pallets, as sometimes just an edge of a tooth will be working on the pallet surfaces which can also do it.

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006