WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Cincinnati Time Recorder of the Wooster Brush Company. "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
This post is not only of horological content but of business history as well. This is about a Cincinnati Time Recorder that sits in the museum of the company I work for, The Wooster Brush Company. This time clock was used by the hourly employees from 1909 through the early 1950’s. It still ticks away to this day and is an integral part of the history of this company. This clock is not for sale!!!!!

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
The time cards in the Slots honor employees with more than 50 years of service with the company and include the second President, Walter Foss, with 59 years and with all time leader Lewis Rhodes with 64 years. Can you even begin to imagine those milestones.

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Our most recent inductee Phyllis Kudika which shows the company loyalty was not just a long time ago.

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
A closer shot of the dial and the exposure of the time stamping unit.

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
A ribbon was fed from the upper left wheel under the stamp wheel and up to the take up wheel in the upper right portion of the works.

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Another shot of the dial and case......

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
So with the coverage of our timeclock, I would like to pass on a little bit about the History of the Company.

Our history begins lifetimes ago, with a young man named Adam Foss. Adam traveled the trails from Lancaster. PA to Cincinnati. While in Cincinnati, he attended an unclaimed freight sale held by an express company and bought a fateful box. When he opened it, he found a shipment of hog bristle.

Adam took the crate of bristle with him to visit his older brother Samuel-who lived in Wooster, OH. Using their creative business sense, the Foss brothers set up shop, operating as "Adam Foss & Co". They made handles, attached the hog hair bristles, and sold the first Wooster paintbrushes door-to-door throughout the state. Adam Foss was 29 years old, and the year was 1851. Those paintbrushes were superior to others commonly available at the time.

And thus, The Wooster Brush Company was founded. The company is now 157 years old and has become a cornerstone of the painting industry.

Walter Foss bought the company from his father, Adam, in 1879 and went on to be the president for 59 years. He changed the name to "The Wooster Brush Works". After occupying buildings in the heart of downtown Wooster, in 1909 the Company purchased land a few blocks south and constructed a brand new plant on the corner of Madison Avenue and Buckeye Street. On July 16, 1909, the business was chartered by the State of Ohio and became officially known as "The Wooster Brush Company," which it has been ever since. Wooster, Ohio is still the Company’s current address but they have had 21 expansions to the original facility.

I hope you found this post to be of some interest both horologically and historically.

Steve

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Steve,

Thanks for taking the time to take those pictures and share the history of the Wooster Brush Company. That was quite interesting.

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5234 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Very interesting Steve. Thanks for posting.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Yes, very interesting. It is good to know we still have some loyal businesses left.
Next time I am looking for a paint brush I will definately be looking for a "Wooster."

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I agree very nice clock but more important a company that not only holds on to it's past but remembers those who made it was it is. In this day & age I like hearing about an American Made Company that is still in it for the long haul.

I agree with Ed, I am going to look for Wooster Brushes in the future.

Found their web site here http://www.woosterbrush.com/home3.asp

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Thank you guys and gals for the complimentary comments. As an employee of this company for 26 years I can honestly say we are driven to provide the finest quality paint applicators on the market. It is tough competing with China and the other manufactures who have taken their bussiness over there but we continually strive to provide the best painting tools made right here in the USA. Your patronage will be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Thanks Steve,
Great story about a great company and their clock.
I checked and most of my paint brushes are from Wooster. Sure beats the China stuff. I knew they were good brushes, but not why.
Now I do. !! Smile

Bill Carlson

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Montana USA | Registered: February 05, 2007