Internet Horology Club 185
Info/Value J. Cheetham-"Owen" Grandfather Clock?

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9886029761/m/9901060081

April 25, 2006, 19:26
Mark Nathanson
Info/Value J. Cheetham-"Owen" Grandfather Clock?
My friend bought this grandfather clock. Does anyone know any information about this clock? Also he would like to know if he got a good deal on this. Can anyone give a range of its value? Looks like needs wood work and dial work. Appreciated, thanks.
April 25, 2006, 23:33
Douglas Barr
J. Cheetham was active from 1794-1826 in Sutton England. Clock is from the late teens to mid 1820's. Not the best of clock cases a little English country wide. Price would be 1500 to 2500 at auction. Check the fitting of the movement to the case, may be a marriage.
April 25, 2006, 23:45
Mark Nathanson
Thanks for the info. What do I check to see if marriage? I gather marriage is a match?
PS-Do you mean this actual case or all of his case work?
April 26, 2006, 21:43
Michael Cherry
No, marriage means movement and case not original to each other. Look to see if marks on inside backboard match up with marks that pendulum would have made from the screw under the pendulum bob and/or pendulum itself. Also look for marks from the bell possibly touching the inside backboard near top. See if the 'travel' path of weights match the wear on the inside of door and just below door inside of the case. Your pictures seem to show that the marks from the pendulum cock, crutch, and bell are a match. Also the dial seems to frame up well with the door. Without seeing more I would guess it to be original.
Mike C.
aka clock whisperer
April 26, 2006, 23:16
Douglas Barr
Check the arch of the dial. Seems to be a white area between the dial and the arch of the door. Usually these fit fairly tight with out a gap of white. Hard to tell with out the seeing the clock in person.
May 05, 2006, 14:42
Mark Nathanson
Sorry took so long. The brass plate on movement has "Owen" in large lined letters on the top of plate that is farthest back, the plate near the dial. Any idea on marraige, if original, and value of the clock? Hope this helps. Lastly, he said he paid $2100 for it. Did he over pay? Advice very much appreciated, thanks.
May 10, 2006, 11:21
Lindell V. Riddle

I'm no clock expert, but just imagine what it would cost to make that case today!

Beautiful example with great possibilities.

Wink

May 10, 2006, 13:09
Tom Seymour
It sounds like he was pretty much in the ballpark price-wise.

Tom
May 16, 2006, 08:00
Moses Gingerich
The value of a piece is defined by what one the buyer is willing to pay for, and the seller is willing to sell for, neither one under any compulsion. That is the definition of fair market value. But the price seems fair to me...
Moses