Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Info/Value J. Cheetham-"Owen" Grandfather Clock? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Mark Nathanson
posted
My friend bought this grandfather clock. Does anyone know any information about this clock? Also he would like to know if he got a good deal on this. Can anyone give a range of its value? Looks like needs wood work and dial work. Appreciated, thanks.

Posts: 206 | Location: Northern New York USA | Registered: January 06, 2006
Vienna Regulators
IHC Member 313
posted
J. Cheetham was active from 1794-1826 in Sutton England. Clock is from the late teens to mid 1820's. Not the best of clock cases a little English country wide. Price would be 1500 to 2500 at auction. Check the fitting of the movement to the case, may be a marriage.

Posts: 287 | Location: Westlake, Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: January 11, 2004
posted
Thanks for the info. What do I check to see if marriage? I gather marriage is a match?
PS-Do you mean this actual case or all of his case work?

posted
No, marriage means movement and case not original to each other. Look to see if marks on inside backboard match up with marks that pendulum would have made from the screw under the pendulum bob and/or pendulum itself. Also look for marks from the bell possibly touching the inside backboard near top. See if the 'travel' path of weights match the wear on the inside of door and just below door inside of the case. Your pictures seem to show that the marks from the pendulum cock, crutch, and bell are a match. Also the dial seems to frame up well with the door. Without seeing more I would guess it to be original.
Mike C.
aka clock whisperer

Posts: 152 | Location: Telford, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: May 21, 2005
Vienna Regulators
IHC Member 313
posted
Check the arch of the dial. Seems to be a white area between the dial and the arch of the door. Usually these fit fairly tight with out a gap of white. Hard to tell with out the seeing the clock in person.

Posts: 287 | Location: Westlake, Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: January 11, 2004
posted
Sorry took so long. The brass plate on movement has "Owen" in large lined letters on the top of plate that is farthest back, the plate near the dial. Any idea on marraige, if original, and value of the clock? Hope this helps. Lastly, he said he paid $2100 for it. Did he over pay? Advice very much appreciated, thanks.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

I'm no clock expert, but just imagine what it would cost to make that case today!

Beautiful example with great possibilities.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
It sounds like he was pretty much in the ballpark price-wise.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of Moses Gingerich
posted
The value of a piece is defined by what one the buyer is willing to pay for, and the seller is willing to sell for, neither one under any compulsion. That is the definition of fair market value. But the price seems fair to me...
Moses

Posts: 143 | Location: Waxhaw, North Carolina USA | Registered: March 31, 2005