• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Please help identify- "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
This clock is a large grandfather 9 tube, reported to be made in Germany, case looks like Black Forest workmanship, but the movement and dial looks like a Herschede. Has two tunes - Marked on dial same as Herschede does on the upper right, Westminister and Eight Bells. Would appreciate if anyone has knowledge if Herschede made movements and shipped to Germany or could this be a German movement. This is probably from the turn of the century. Bill Buss

Bill Buss

Posts: 10 | Location: Ocala, Florida USA | Registered: April 01, 2005
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Hi Earl,
Is the one tune marked "Eight Bells"? I haven't read anything about a Herschede with that on it, only Wittington, Westminster, and Canterbury. The chime selector on the dial is on the left side on Hershede made movements; silent/chime selector on the right. Early (before about 1904) Herschedes had movements made in Germany I think. There were a number of other companies that did make 9 tubular bell movements; German, US, etc. I believe early Herschede cases were made in US and the movements came from Germany. Then Herschede bought their own plant to make their movements in the US. They did mark the dials for other companies, but I think they would make the case too. (So just my guess, this clock was not made by Herschede).

Check out this link showing Ged's Elliot of London. Click here.

Here is a lot of information on Herschede. Click here.

Andy

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
WELCOME to IHC Earl,

Lots of fun things to look at and lots of great people to exchange ideas with. Have fun!

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thanks so much for the kind replys received n the Grandfather clock "Herschede Lookalike"
Bill Buss

Bill Buss

Posts: 10 | Location: Ocala, Florida USA | Registered: April 01, 2005