Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Adamantine "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Robert Farricy
posted
I hope I'm in the right section for this question.
In addition to watches I also collect "Black Mantle " clocks. Recently I've looking at one I like which is advertised as "Adamantine"( I may be spelling it wrong).
Can someone please tell me what adamantine is?
It looks like an ordinary black mantle except it is brown and shiny.
Thanks-> Bob F.

Posts: 56 | Location: Syracuse, New York USA | Registered: June 05, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hello Bob,

Seth Thomas advertised Adamantine finish clocks for many years, from the 1880s through the 1920s and there were many different designs in their catalogs. I have often wondered exactly what the process consisted of, apparently it was a celluloid veneer, based on an early form of thermoplastic that was highly flammable and closely related to what was used in early motion picture film. Adamantine reminds me of the finish on bowling balls, on both the colors are varied and the resulting finish very durable.

Click for an IHC185 Find-Or-Search for Adamantine with pictures and additional information.

They are pretty clocks, let's see what others say about them.

Lindell

Here is an Adamantine finish mantle clock in my office...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Label on my clock shows September 7, 1880 Patent date..

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
adamantinum(lat.) = hard as steel

Seth Thomas owned US Pat. 232037 from the 'Celluloid Manufacturing Company' of New York.
The patent covers a process of applying (glueing) verneer on curved surfaces by use of a rubber tube and a vacuum.

Regards,
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
Picture of Robert Farricy
posted
Thanks Lin and Gerald.
Best regards->Bob F.

Posts: 56 | Location: Syracuse, New York USA | Registered: June 05, 2003