Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ingraham Mantel Clock "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
I would like to know if anyone can tell me anything about this old Ingraham Mantel Clock. I was interested in year or era of production as well as to some educated guess about the production numbers. It is an eight day movement and seems to work well except it can not count. By this I mean at 7 o'clock it chimes 8 times. Can anyone tell me how to cure that? Your input will be greatly appreciated. I own antique watches but this is my first antique clock. It just chimed eleven times at ten o'clock. Love that sound though.
Thanks,
Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
Honorary Life Member
Internet Consultant
posted
Hi Steve,

I can't tell you when the clock was manufactured, but I can give you a way to correct the strike.

While it's striking the hour, advance the minute hand to 5 minutes past the next hour. Now it's 2 hours off. Repeat until it's right.

Important: Don't use you finger to move the minute hand. Use a cotton swab. Fingers and fingernails can ruin a clock face.

Best,
Tom

Posts: 41 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Hi Tom,

I am wondering why you just wouldn't move the hour hand to the hour that was just struck. Most of these clocks have a friction fit hour hand. Did I miss something ? Just curious.

Bill

Bill Carlson

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Montana USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Tom & Bill,
Thanks for your help with the chimes. I tried Toms suggestion first and advanced it an hour a couple of times but it still stayed one chime up so I went with Bill's suggestion and that seemed to work. Thanks for the help from the both of you. I love this club.....now if I can find out more about this interesting timepiece.
Thanks again,
Steve

Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Steve,
Glad you have got the clock chiming right on now. From what I can find out, your clock was probably made around 1900.
Its a very nice looking clock. I just read that Ingraham made over 200 models of mantel clocks over the years.
ENJOY Razz

Bill Carlson

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Montana USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Thanks Bill,
I wouldn't have guessed this clock to be that old. It is in good condition and keeps very good time and I love the sound of the chime. I had a spot above a cherry secratary cabinet that suited this clock just fine and hopefully give me many years of service. I appreciate your help and opinions.
Steve