Tools
Reply to Post

The Ansonia Clock we call "Margaret"... "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

The Ansonia Clock we call "Margaret"...

Beginning in the late 1940s my mom taught kindergarten classes in the largest room of the Margaret Brown School in Greenville, Pennsylvania. High on the classroom wall was an Ansonia Clock that had been there ever since the 1880s when the old school was built.

In 1952 they built a new school and the move out of the old building commenced. Mom kept after the superintendent asking "What will become of Margaret?" as she affectionately called the old clock. Finally, on the last day in the building my little five foot two mom cornered the six foot four Superintendent of Schools one last time, demanding to know what would become of the clock she had carefully wound each week. The answer, the board members had decided Mrs. Riddle could take the clock home, strange as it might sound to us today, the school system had no interest in it.

My dad loaded in the back of his '47 Oldsmobile and brought it to our house. For all the years since that clock has been on display in a place of honor. In 1982 my mom died and at that point it was passed down to me. It is here today, the pendulum swinging slowly in perfect beat. I'd like to get the entire clock reconditioned. It is very original with the exception of the lower glass which had been changed before it came to us. That should be replaced with "wavy glass" I'm sure, and perhaps the glass should also say "Regulator" on it. Does anyone know for sure?

The case, which is solid wood I believe to be solid cherry measures 32" high by 17" wide. Can anyone supply an idea as to its actual age or other information about this particular model?

Any information about our old friend "Margaret" would be greatly appreciated.

Lindell

The Ansonia my mom rescued fifty-two years ago...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Vienna Regulators
IHC Member 313
posted
Berea Glass in Berea Ohio has old glass he saves from replacement jobs. Check with Meritts on a regulator decal. Clock was made for a long period of time....maybe 1880 to 1920.

Posts: 287 | Location: Westlake, Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: January 11, 2004
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Lindell,

I believe your clock is the Regulator "C" as shown in the 1906 catalog picture. It does not have "Regulator" on the glass. That may have been an option. If you decide to go that route, hold out for a painted one. In my opinion, the decals just don't look right.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I like the history on Margaret. Lindell it is nice to know that your mom liked the clock enough to keep asking, and she finally got it.It would have been a shame if someone had just thrown it in the trash.
Margaret is a very nice clock and she looks pretty good today, even if she is not all original.
Enjoy your nice clock. Smile Smile

Picture of Carlos Flores
posted
What a great heirloom!, it will run into the future of the family, it will be a one of a kind story... My relatives from my mom side including my grandfather, were railroaders ("ferrocarrileros" in Spanish) but unfortunately no one of their watches came to me.
again, what a story!

Posts: 325 | Location: Near Mexico City, Mexico | Registered: July 05, 2003