• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

sessions clock "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I just finished putting my first coat of tung oil on my clock and if it is dry enough tommorow i will buff up with 0000 steel wool and put second coat on.
Are 2 coats sufficient to put on ?
I will post pics so all can see how it looks after.
I have another mantel sessions that will need refinishing, i think it sat in a barn for a while.When i get it home i will post some pics and see what people think i can do with it.
Thanks to all for their advice in clock refinishing. Smile Smile Smile Smile

IHC Member 261
Chapter 111,Ottawa
NAWCC Member 158976,
Nepean, Canada

posted
I finished my sessions mantle clock today and it looks really good, i got lots of good advice from a member of this chapter.

IHC Member 261
Chapter 111,Ottawa
NAWCC Member 158976,
Nepean, Canada

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Very nice job!! You've got a great looking clock. Did you work on the movement also?

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I have not worked on the movement, i know it needs a cleaning and a oiling.I have never cleaned or oiled a clock so i am a little apprehensive to try and don,t know of any good clock people around here.
Maybe it is a good time as any time to learn.

IHC Member 261
Chapter 111,Ottawa
NAWCC Member 158976,
Nepean, Canada

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
If you are thinking of going ahead you will find much of it is straight forward. However, THE NUMBER ONE CONCERN IS SAFETY. THE SPRINGS MUST BE LET DOWN AND CONTAINED BEFORE YOU START TO DISASSEMBLE THE MOVEMENT. There are some very easy ways to do this, and I would be happy to help you out with the step by step if you want. I can take some pictures that would help. I may have a movement similar to yours around here.

In the meantime, you have a great looking clock, and one more on the way!! Have fun!

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Ralph Rehner
posted
A very nice clock that you can be proud of. Many new avenues will now open for you in clocks. Keep honing your skills and learning the tricks. As you seek older clocks, the total refinish you've done on this clock is a last choice with the beautiful older pieces. There you task is to clean and preserve the ancient finish. The often overpowering urge to make a clock look shiny and new must be avoided.

Tom Seymour is a valuable resource in getting the engine running nicely in your Sessions. His straight forward instruction turns basic clock repair into childsplay.

Ralph Rehner, "The Clock Pup" and Longines Watch Guy

Posts: 89 | Location: Brunswick, Ohio USA | Registered: January 17, 2003
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...Kevin...for your 1st attempt at completely disassembling a clock movement, I would recommend that you wait until you acquire a time only movement...a much easier proposition for one's initial complete knockdown...otherwise, you can clean and oil a movement sufficiently but not absolutely by immersing the complete movement in a cleansing bath if the 'works' have OPEN mainsprings which must in turn be let down...plse heed Tom's advice on exercising care here...much damage to one's self not to speak of the movement can result if proper care is not exercised in this regard...I also (and follow this practice myself) seriously recommend wearing heavy leather gloves and eye protection when dealing w/wound mainsprings...Jim C

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
Picture of Ralph Rehner
posted
Great advise Jim,( I still head the warning you and Tom gave me)
In the limited clock studies I've engaged in thus far, the constant warning,in reading material, about the dangers of springs is constantly emphasized. Believe they are referred to as "Finger Eaters" when not dealt with safely. Many beginners manuals state that a safe movement to "Get ones feet wet" is the beloved old 30 hr. weight driven. Wide open spaces to study mechanics and plenty of wood to play with in restoration. The beloved old OG fits the mold perfect in all catagories and can be bought for a small dollars. The OG clock in the Americana Fun thread I posted a while back is a classic example

Ralph Rehner, "The Clock Pup" and Longines Watch Guy

Posts: 89 | Location: Brunswick, Ohio USA | Registered: January 17, 2003