Internet Horology Club 185
Colonial Grandfather?

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9886029761/m/9541080891

January 11, 2006, 12:18
Greg Reeves
Colonial Grandfather?
I serviced this clock today. Although I could not see the entire back plate very well, I could make out "Zeeland, Mich.".

Is this another Colonial?

It's probably the most beautiful grandfather clock that I've ever worked on.

January 11, 2006, 12:23
Greg Reeves
The left side of the movement. I had forgotten to take a photo of the movement before I had put the dial back on(Sorry). I'll try to remember next time.

January 11, 2006, 14:53
J. Bruce Weeks
I serviced one of these movements about 15-20 years ago for my allergist. It played 7 tunes that automatically switched each day of the week, or could be set to play your favorite all the time. I forget the manufacturer, but he said his father bought it Germany in 1932 for the princely sum of $600 US. Considering that was the weight of the depression, that was a lot of money, more than most made in 2 years wages!

The thing was beastly hard to get adjusted to make the switch between tunes and not get one end or the other to catch errant hammer tails from nearby tunes. Should have had a micrometer adjustment, would have made my job way easier. Ran great though and kept time quite precisely.
January 11, 2006, 15:07
Andy Krietzer
The movement looks a lot like a Herschede.

Andy
January 11, 2006, 15:13
Greg Reeves
This one only plays three tunes. Yes, I am reminded of Hershedes, but they weren't in Michigan were they?

It is heavily engraved.

January 11, 2006, 17:04
Greg Reeves
Here's a look at a mark located above the 12.

January 11, 2006, 17:22
Andy Krietzer
I think there was an article that might help in the Bulletin recently, but I'm not at home now to check. I think it was all about tubular chimes clocks. Herschede was in Ohio and then Mississippi. They would have had Canterbury chimes as one of the three. It looks like the third tune on this one is "Wynchestre" (with a "y" instead of an "i", and "re" instead of "er") which makes me think it is British, maybe by Elliott or Jacquard (spelling?)? Just guessing though, still looks a lot like Herschede to me right down to the mounting and hammers.

The two dials are reversed from Herschede, the chime/silent is on the right, the tune selector is on the left. The chime drum looks the same.

Andy
January 11, 2006, 17:32
Greg Reeves
The figures to the right and left of the hood.

Note: the difference in the carvings. The boy on the right looks germanic while the girl on the left looks Italian. just my opinion

January 11, 2006, 17:34
Greg Reeves
Pendulum close-up

January 11, 2006, 17:34
Greg Reeves
Weights

January 11, 2006, 17:35
Greg Reeves
Bottom of the case

January 11, 2006, 17:47
Greg Reeves
Body or Trunk carvings

January 11, 2006, 20:59
Mark Nathanson
Don't mean to be funny, but looks like you are going to need some plaster for the ceiling. If it doesn't fit I can take it off your hands!
January 12, 2006, 08:34
Greg Reeves
(11 April 1925) "H. Winterhalder AG Neustadt (HAWINA)". Trademarks were HWN and HAWINA.