Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Colonial Grandfather? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
I serviced this clock today. Although I could not see the entire back plate very well, I could make out "Zeeland, Mich.".

Is this another Colonial?

It's probably the most beautiful grandfather clock that I've ever worked on.

Posts: 497 | Location: Genoa, New York U.S.A. | Registered: November 06, 2003
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
The left side of the movement. I had forgotten to take a photo of the movement before I had put the dial back on(Sorry). I'll try to remember next time.

posted
I serviced one of these movements about 15-20 years ago for my allergist. It played 7 tunes that automatically switched each day of the week, or could be set to play your favorite all the time. I forget the manufacturer, but he said his father bought it Germany in 1932 for the princely sum of $600 US. Considering that was the weight of the depression, that was a lot of money, more than most made in 2 years wages!

The thing was beastly hard to get adjusted to make the switch between tunes and not get one end or the other to catch errant hammer tails from nearby tunes. Should have had a micrometer adjustment, would have made my job way easier. Ran great though and kept time quite precisely.

Posts: 179 | Location: Charlotte, Michigan U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2004
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
The movement looks a lot like a Herschede.

Andy

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
This one only plays three tunes. Yes, I am reminded of Hershedes, but they weren't in Michigan were they?

It is heavily engraved.

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
Here's a look at a mark located above the 12.

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
I think there was an article that might help in the Bulletin recently, but I'm not at home now to check. I think it was all about tubular chimes clocks. Herschede was in Ohio and then Mississippi. They would have had Canterbury chimes as one of the three. It looks like the third tune on this one is "Wynchestre" (with a "y" instead of an "i", and "re" instead of "er") which makes me think it is British, maybe by Elliott or Jacquard (spelling?)? Just guessing though, still looks a lot like Herschede to me right down to the mounting and hammers.

The two dials are reversed from Herschede, the chime/silent is on the right, the tune selector is on the left. The chime drum looks the same.

Andy

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
The figures to the right and left of the hood.

Note: the difference in the carvings. The boy on the right looks germanic while the girl on the left looks Italian. just my opinion

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
Pendulum close-up

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
Weights

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
Bottom of the case

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
Body or Trunk carvings

Picture of Mark Nathanson
posted
Don't mean to be funny, but looks like you are going to need some plaster for the ceiling. If it doesn't fit I can take it off your hands!

Posts: 206 | Location: Northern New York USA | Registered: January 06, 2006
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
(11 April 1925) "H. Winterhalder AG Neustadt (HAWINA)". Trademarks were HWN and HAWINA.