Tools
Reply to Post

Polishing a brass locomotive clock "Click" to Login or Register 
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Could somebody give me some tips on how to polish a Seth Thomas brass locomotive clock case.

Larry

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Brasso will help but Mike H did some great restoration on those perhaps he will chirp in.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Member 1725
posted
Hi Larry,

There are a lot of things you could use, but my vote goes to Maas polishing crème.

Good Luck,
Tim

Posts: 376 | Location: Conover, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: July 07, 2012
posted
Larry,

Maas is great but a bit on the expensive side. I use Blue Magic Metal Polish Cream, you should be able to find it at an automotive store and it works great.

Mike

Posts: 206 | Location: West Virginia in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2012
IHC Life Member
Sergeant at Arms
Picture of Scott A. Whittey
posted
Aloha Larry
The Air Force chief of Staff uses Flitz on his highly polished Aircraft(speckled trout) I use it on my aircraft as well
http://www.flitzpolish.com/Buy...rHz70CFYeUfgodLCQARg
Mahalo
Scott

Posts: 293 | Location: California City, California USA | Registered: May 05, 2005
posted
I've used Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish for years.It's non abrasive and can be used to polish just about any thing.Bikers use it on their Harleys,I use it on pocket watch cases,gold , nickel and silver.Available in most Auto parts stores.Regards.Norm

Posts: 484 | Location: Georgia in the United States | Registered: August 04, 2010
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Thank you everybody for the good tips, I have some Flitz and I will give it a try.

Larry

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Member 1016
posted
If the lacquer is off and you are down to solid brass then any good polish works. Taking lacquer off requires work as well as method.
I've used Brasso and Never Dull.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007