WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

[Request information on a] webb c ball mantle clock "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have a Webb C Mantle clock and would like find out any information on it. Thanks Kim

Posts: 4 | Location: Ohio in the USA | Registered: January 01, 2014
posted
A picture of the movement would help in identifying this clock. I think it might be an Ansonia.

Posts: 353 | Location: Nichols, New York in the USA | Registered: April 04, 2010
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Ken, I think you're right. Here's another similar example:

Dave Turner

Posts: 1978 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
And the movement:

Dave Turner

Posts: 1978 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
posted
Here is a picture of the inside of the clock

IHC Member 43
posted
Kim, Your movement looks French to me. Anything readable on the back or on that stamped area?

Curly

Posts: 251 | Location: Ashland, Wisconsin U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Here is a close up of the manufacturer but I can't read it. Maybe one of you experts know.

posted
Kim,
The movement in your clock appears to be from around 1860. I believe the name is S.Marti and was awarded a bronze medal at the Paris Exposition in 1860. I also believe the movement is a Japy Frere with the S.Marti name on it. This would make it a very high grade French movement.

I don't believe the Ball Co. made clocks, just as they never "made" watches, but probably imported clocks into the U.S. and sold them with their name on them.

Is the clock slate? If it is then I think the movement is probably original to the case. I'll have to do a little more research before I can say for sure if the Ball Co. plate is correct. Either way it is a very nice quality made clock.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Mike

Posts: 206 | Location: West Virginia in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2012
posted
I believe it is slate it's very heavy. Thank you very much for your information I appreciate it.