• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Questions on how to move a floor clock..... "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Gentelmen; I've been here before and have received very good advise. I need some suggestions about the tubes and the hammers. (And anything else I have probably forgotten) I thought I would get plastic tubes that the bells will go into.. Righr or wrong?? I don't have much of any idea about the hammers. Tie them down one at a time? Or lasso the whole bunch and tie them down. Thank you, I appreciate your time..... Hurst 0057823 IHC 185

James R. Hurst

Posts: 32 | Location: Mission, Texas U.S.A. | Registered: November 27, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Hi James, I don't know if you caught my earlier reply to your question. Your topic was spread between two places. If not this is our previous discussion.

To secure the hammers you can use small blocks of styrofoam to take up the free space and then secure everything with zip ties or string. Try not to bend the hammers. If they are not hitting correctly upon setting up, then a slight bend may be in order. The hammer should rest just above the tubes, not resting on it.

If you tie up the hammers without anything to take up the space they move in, it may cause unnecessary bending.

I would be happy to try answer any other specific questions you may have.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Hi, For what its worth, When I moved my Elliot Of London 9 tube , I removed movement weights and pendulum first ,packed the movement on its own in a cardboard box surrounded by scrunched up newspaper, The pendulum rod I taped to a wooden batten, the 9 tubes I wrapped In bubble wrap and taped them together, The 3 weights and pendulum bob were also wrapped in bubble wrap and packed in seperate boxes . The chime weight weighs 40 pounds in my clock. the Hood was packed in a box on its own. The trunk or main case was too big to box so I just wrapped in a couple of blankets. For safety's sake not trusting anyone with the love of my life, I transported it myself in my Estate Car,(station wagon to colonials).Finally I had to let the clock in the floor 5 inches in new home. Hope this helps, nothing is too much trouble for a good clock. Ged. Smile Smile

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Sorry I forgot to tell you, I wound the weights up and before removing them I taped over cables on the winding drums to stop them from getting tangled in the works..All the best Ged. PS , do not remove tape until weights are back on. Smile

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003