• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamburg American "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi everyone! I got bit by the pocket watch a couple of yrs. ago & now the clock bug has made me a visit. Just starting to learn. I found a Hamburg mantle clock at a swap meet and picked it up for 20 bucks. Clock is in great shape just missing the suspension spring & rod. I can't seem to find any info as to what I need to replace them with. The movement is 4 3/8 high X 3 8/8 wide. It has a very lite no. on the back plate 613? The stub of the spring is 6.07mm wide & .075mm thick. The pendulum rod is 4" long & is made to fit a T end. Any help with this project or info on this project will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jim

Clock Works

Posts: 47 | Location: Hollister California in the USA | Registered: October 04, 2014
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Post a couple of pictures Jimmy.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
posted
Clock Face

Face

Posts: 47 | Location: Hollister California in the USA | Registered: October 04, 2014
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Very nice clock! If you do a search on ebay you can find a fairly good picture of the same movement showing the suspension rod.
I could post the link here, but I think it's against the rules, unless it's posted under pitfalls.

A moderator can correct me if I'm wrong.

Then, you could probably find a suitable replacement from Timesavers.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
posted
Thanks Dave. I have looked on the Bay & only one had a picture of the movement. It did show the suspension rod, but at the angle they took the picture the top of the rod & spring were blocked by the chime hammer. Jim

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
If you go to sold listings there's a good picture of one, that pretty well looks the same as yours.
Your clock has a bend at the bottom of the crutch rod. The bottom where the pendulum goes through should be bent at a right angle on the bottom portion.
A picture of your pendulum might help too.

(check your email)

Dave Turner

posted
Dave, my pendulum looks the same as the one in the picture. The rod is 4" long and fits over a T just like the picture. Thanks again, Jim

Life Member
posted
I just got around to looking at this thread, and have to comment about the hammer You have to love that "s" curve some one put in the arm. (The hammer should strike the gong at about 2/3 the length of the tangent portion from the mounting block. Further out toward the curve will produce more of a dull "think" than an true ringing tone, because the hammer will be striking at one of the normal vibration nodes. If it strikes much closer than 2/3 the length of the tangent away from the block, it will not impart enough resonance to the gong to sound much, if at all. At best it will produce a thin, "tinny" sound. You can find the ideal place by striking the gong with the eraser end of a pencil, or with the blade of a screwdriver, wrapped with electrical tape. You will know when you find the proper point, and should adjust the hammer wire accordingly.

Posts: 213 | Location: Westminster, Maryland in the USA | Registered: March 02, 2015