• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help with Kieninger movement installation "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have a Ridgeway Grandfather clock, cable weights, with a Kieninger movement. The original movement is 23 years old and the chimes no longer function. After several disappointments with my local clock repair shop, I, myself, am replacing the movement with a Kieninger KSU38. I have purchased a clock repair book (“The Clock Repairer’s Handbook” by Laurie Penman) and the new KSU38 movement, and I am getting ready to install. I am a very handy do-it-yourselfer and I feel confident that I can make the switch without difficulty; although, I have not worked on clocks before. Just the same, not being all knowledgeable, I’d like to ask if anyone here would be kind enough to share any suggestions with me, such as, words of advice, a mini-procedure, cheat sheet, or any source at all that can give me guidance along my journey. Much appreciated.

Denny G.

Posts: 7 | Location: Carlsbad, California USA | Registered: July 03, 2006
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
If your new movement is the replacement unit for your old movement, it should just fit into the clock without any difficulty.

Remove the weights and pendulum. mark the weights if they are not already marked(usually on the bottom of the weights)

Remove the hands to be re - placed on the new movement. Remove the wooden "dial sheild" if your case has one...normally 4 screws. I usually then remove the seat board(the wooden shelf that the movement sits on). One to two screws on each side. Remove the entire movement and dial together from the case.

The dial will have been attached(probably with taper pins) to the front plate of the movement(save these). The new movement will most likely have the new "hooks" for the re-attachement of the dial, if this works fine...if not you will have to re-use the taper pins.

You will have to...remove the calendar gear from the old movement if it had one. Also, the chime selection "handle" will also have to be switched to the new movement also.

Now wait for other replys to see what I missed and reverse the procedure.

Posts: 497 | Location: Genoa, New York U.S.A. | Registered: November 06, 2003
posted
Greg, you are too kind! Thanks you for your quick response; this is just what I need. One other quick question. Should I lubricate/oil the NEW movement while it is out and easy to get at? Do you have any suggestions on where to buy the clock oil?

Denny G.

posted
Dennis, the movement would have been oiled in the factory. If you add any more it might 'over fill' the bushing and draw out the factory oil with it. Also, some oils are not compatible.

Posts: 152 | Location: Telford, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: May 21, 2005
posted
Michael, thanks!! That's kinda what I thought. I'd like to do my own oiling later on. For future purposes, would you have any suggestions on an oil type and source so I could purchase it and have it ready when needed a few years down the road? Thanks again.

Denny G.

posted

Posts: 152 | Location: Telford, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: May 21, 2005
posted
Thanks again, Michael!

Denny G.