Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ansonia Shelf Clock "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Jack Davis
posted
I recently picked up this Ansonia clock at a local auction and am trying to see if it works well. Here's my problem.

It seems as if the pendulum has a very short arc as compared to a Seth Thomas Mantel Clock that I own. It swings back and forth on this short arc for a bit and stops.

I have heard that you can somehow restrict the movement of the pendulum when you move clocks to prevent damage. Do you think that is the case here? Thanks for you help!

Jack

Posts: 208 | Location: Elgin, Illinois USA | Registered: November 30, 2002
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Jack,

Just my opinion here (I don't "repair" clocks, I just "fix up" my own). I believe when you move any pendulum clock, you should remove the pendulum. In the case of the clock you picture, unhook the bob when you move it any distance. I don't know of many actual pendulum locks you mention (except on anniversary clocks), and I don't think that would cause the clock to not have a full swing anyway. The pendulum would either be completely locked or unlocked. I think the problem with this clock is the springs that have become set, so they no longer have enough power to run the clock. It is probably in need of cleaning and oil too. If you check some of the supply catalogs like Merritts, LaRose and Timesavers, they have springs for these that are only about $3 or less. They all have websites also, but I like the catalogs. I bought a Seth Thomas that had a great case, but one spring was broken. I cleaned it and replaced the spring, so my total repair cost was only about $5, and I got a little experience at the same time.

Andy

The International 400 Day Clock Chapter 168.
The Internet Horology Chapter 185 nawcc-ihc.org

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Hi Jack, According to picture the suspension spring looks bent,problems like this are caused by moving clock without removing pendulum bob. I advise remove assembly and straighten spring, refit and try again to run clock. check to see if it is in "beat" by listening for an even "tick-tock" sound ,tilt clock ,first one side then the other until it sounds even. you may have to bend crutch wire to enable clock to stand level and remain in "beat", Hope this makes sense to you. Most if not all parts are available for these basic movements and they are easy to strip down to clean and re-assemble.Good Luck, GED. Smile

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
looks quite dirty and dry Jack...I'd start w/a complete cleaning of works and springs...Jim C

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
I would have to agree with the above comments. The small arc is usually due to a lack of power through the going train. This could be caused by dirt, set springs, or the need for bushing.

Being out of beat will defititely cause it to stop in a short time. As Ged has said, make sure the ticks and tocks are evenly spaced.

Does the strike side work?

Let us know what happens, and how about a look at the whole clock?

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Jack Davis
posted
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the replys. Sorry for the delay. I was called out unexpectedly yesterday. Tom, the strike side tries to work but does not complete the motion.

Also, the case itself looks as though someone may have painted it or treated it with something that doesn't quite fit with the original finish. It's hard to tell for sure though. Here is a pic of the front.

Jack

Posts: 208 | Location: Elgin, Illinois USA | Registered: November 30, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
If the strike side is also sluggish, then I would forget about making adjustments to the going side until the movement was cleaned, and checked for wear. If the springs don't give much of a fight, then look for new springs.

It looks like you've got yourself a "Harvey", 1917 10 1/4 in. high, 9 1/4 in. wide with a 5 in. dial. 8 day, hour and half hour gong strike. Mahogany dull rubbed finish.

The book (Tran's) also states that it comes with a 5 inch porcelain ring on a silvered background. I'm sure that was an option, or the porcelain ring was broken and the dial replaced. Some investigation might have to be done there.

I can scan the picture from the book if you like.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002