Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

French Movement ID Please "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
I posted this on another internet venue, but had no response. I am hoping that someone may be able to identify this clock that I am servicing for a customer. The pinned movement, I assume is French due to the Paris stamp, but I am hoping that the stamped initials add more info. The dial simply has the name of the jeweller; Mappin and Webb which doesn’t help to identify the movement. No big deal, but any info would be appreciated.
Best regards,
Grant

Grant Perry

movement

Posts: 334 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: January 28, 2003
Vienna Regulators
IHC Member 313
posted
Both the makers were carriage clock wholesalers. Will try to get information to you tonite.

Posts: 287 | Location: Westlake, Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: January 11, 2004
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Thanks Doug.
The owner has no info on the clock, so I would like to provided a little history when I return it to him.

thanks again,
grant/

Grant Perry

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
In Britten's Old Clock and Watches and Their Makers A there is only a reference to a Leanord Just, but this doesn't seem to be the right "Just". He was in business from 1790 - 1825 and made rather poor quality watches for the Chinese market.

We will have to wait and see what Doug comes up with.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Thanks for the input Tom. The case actually looks Deco(ish) and is marble and chrome, so it would be later production I think. The plates are very thick and the movement seems to be well made.
Thanks again,
Grant

Grant Perry

Vienna Regulators
IHC Member 313
posted
I have a carrage clock with the A.1 mark on it. It dates from the first quarter 20th century. Looked in my carriage clock literature but no luck with the actual maker.

Posts: 287 | Location: Westlake, Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: January 11, 2004