• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Where's the clock guys/gals? I wanting to see some post here. When I started collecting it was between Clocks and Pocket watches and since PW's took up less room I went with them. As shaky as I am anymore maybe I should have took up working on clocks, those little parts are killing me Big Grin

Ok now for my question, I would like to buy a nice mantle or hanging clock that chimes. What is collectable and affordable ($300-$500). Here's a loaded question what are the best makes? Which ones can I get parts or do they have to be made? Do these ship well ?

I just need some basic talk to get me started and maybe some photos of clock in my price range.

Thanks

Posts: 175 | Location: Claremore, Oklahoma USA | Registered: January 03, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Ricky,
Every collector is going to have a different answer to this question. I collect American made clocks. There are many that are in the price range you mention.

However, most American made clocks were not made of the quality and high grade finish of the European clocks. So you have a decision to make. Do I want high quality, or do I want something significant to American history. There were high quality clocks of American manufacture (Howards and Willards for example) but they would be out of the price range that you mentioned.

You also need to decide between striking and chiming. Most, not all, of the early American clocks were striking (the hours) but not chiming (the quarter hours). If playing a tune every fifteen minutes is a priority, then the American mades are not easy to find until you get into the more modern ones. Seth Thomas made some, I believe, in the 1920s.

There are wood clocks, statue clocks, brass movements, wooden movements hanging and mantle.

Make a checklist of what the priorities are, and we can take it from there.

Have fun!!!! Big Grin

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
OK Tom help me out I do like the statue clocks and the brass movements, history is important to me so those clocks sound good also. Striking on the hour is fine. If you were to get a clock or two to hand down in your family which would it be? I'm a little too stupid at this point to know what I want, but I do love clocks. Please Advise the price can slide but I don't mind getting into areas that are undervalued, and sure like style like most of us.

Thanks

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Ricky, It sounds like you are wide open to ideas. I would suggest you find someone, or a bookstore, with a good book on clocks. One with lots of pictures of clocks by many manufacturers. American Shelf and Wall Clocks by Ball, or The American Clock by Distin adn Bishop are two good sources. There are some distinctive styles. The classic American styles are (in my opinion) the Pillar and Scroll, the banjo, the steeple. School clocks (drop octogans) are right up there also. Once you have seen something that strikes your fancy..we can talk more about them. Theese books only tell about American made clocks. You might want to find a book with European clocks. These clocks tend to have a more formal style.

There are some absolutely beautiful German weight driven Biedermier (sp?) style clocks (hanging wall clock)- elegant, simple and exquisite designs.

Any of these old clocks would be great to hand down. The top of my collection is a Seth Thomas, wooden works - off center (The pendulum does not hang in the center of the movement - to avoid copywrite infringement) pillar and scroll. I sold my motorcycle to get that one!! It was made in 1814.

I suggest looking at a lot of pictures and find something you enjoy looking at. Be happy to discuss further!

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thanks Tom,

I'll see if I can't find a copy of those books and do some web searching. I think I'll start with American clocks and go from there.

You and some of your clock buddies need to post a few pictures and try to get people into your great hobby. I started doing that on the PW section for those that don't know what they want to collect yet and try to give a few tips and hopefully the real experts will chime in.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
I have posted over a dozen clocks in the gallery and in other threads. I will keep doing so, but clock items don't get many views. Also, there is the problem that I don't have the fancy stuff that makes everyone go "OOOhhhh and AAHHH! My budget never allowed for collecting at that level.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.