• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Clock repairman..... "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Sirs: I need the name of a good clock repairman in the Warner Robins or Macon Ga area. My son has taken our floor clock back to Ga. and has run into a little trouble with the cables. He is not a clock person so the best ting to do is to find someone who is. Thaks Jame R. Hurst #158 0057823 00557823 Jrhpw@aol.com or jhurst@rgv.rr.com

James R. Hurst

Posts: 32 | Location: Mission, Texas U.S.A. | Registered: November 27, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Hi Dick,

My initial hunch was that we may be able to get this going over the phone, but if your son really needs a local "clock guy" but we sure could find one for him.

When a weight driven clock is moved, it is not usual for the cables to get bunched up and when that is the situation a little careful work can straighten everything out in more ways than one.

Shortly after my earlier eMail to you I got a call from your son Jim, and it turned out I had guessed correctly. So I explained the cure and while we were talking I sent him a couple of pictures to hopefully make it a little easier.

Interestingly I had stopped my Jacques powered Webb C. Ball tall-case earlier in the day in anticipation of a cleaning and oiling. When your son called it was easy to get right to it. After we discussed it and he examined the pictures I eMailed him, I think he has it well in hand. He seems to be a bright guy who takes after someone we know!

Lindell

Basic design of how the cable winding mechanism is laid out on a typical weight-driven clock...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002