Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

WW1 Officers Desk Clock. "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
WW1 Officers Desk Clock, I Used to own this interesting clock it was housed in a polished glass ball case, it has a ground off flat on the back to enable the clock to stand up. I traded this in for another clock, I regret it in a way but the guy needed it more than I did and made a trade I couldn't refuse, I hope pics' come out okay as they're pre' digital and Iv'e had to scan them. Here goes, Ged.

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003
Picture of Jim McKinney
posted
Frown Ged - no photos quite as of yet . . .

Posts: 231 | Location: Northern Virginia in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 10, 2004
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Sorry all, The pic's from my scanner came out Tif Format, I'm trying to get them into Jpeg because they won't load as is. I have someone coming round this evening to help me me out, Watch this space, Ged.

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Hi All, The helper didn't show, Iv'e persevered and I think I may have won, I took pic's into Photo- Shop 7 and changed format, I hope. Here goes

Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Got it.Pic2. Regards ,Ged.

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Ged,

I've never seen anything exactly like it before, but it has a Deck Watch look about it. What are the dimensions?

This is round like a sphere? If so, is that what makes it a clock rather than a watch?

Dr. Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5222 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
posted
I have heard these called paper weight clocks or watches. I suppose some of them have an 8-day run time. S LaRose had some modern interpretations of the style in the 2001 Annual Holiday catalog. The LaRose items were very inexpensive. They had 17-j movemements, probably pocket watch size and were produced in India. Quality was not their strong suit. I bought a couple different models and they lasted a few months. Here are some pictures of the catalog page; I don't have my scanner connected.

THEY DO NOT HAVE ANY OF THE THREE DIFFERENT MODELS NOW; I JUST CALLED TO CHECK.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
Here's a better look at the larger one.

Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Very interesting John about the Indian copies, I owned my clock around '93/'94, the market here is being seeded with copy English Dial Fusee clocks(Gallery Clocks) I suppose its a form of flattery in a way. Iv'e seen one of these copy Dial Fusee Clocks and they look the part ,Theyr'e supposedly originating in India. Reminds you of the ROLEX Fakes Problems You wouldn't think it worth while to copy relatively inexpensive Clocks though, I can only put it down to a very cheap labour market.
Debbie ,I think the difference between Clocks and watches, is that watches are of the size and designed to be carried on the person, and in general Clocks are not.My Clock pictured was approx 2.1/2to3ins in dia' and very heavy. All the best , GED.

posted
Ged,

Interesting bit about the repro fusee clocks. I wonder if any are available in the US now? If not, they soon will be.

posted
Interesting desk clock Ged, have not seen others like it.Made by Zenith so is well made.
Great pictures too.

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
The marking on the dial is for British India (letter I under broad arrow). However, the clock is clearly not that old, nor is it in a configuration issued back in 1914.

Best regards,

Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Greg', Thanks for info' I'm glad now that I traded it in. I got a nice Bulle early battery bracket clock for it. You win some you lose some. Regards , GED.

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Wow, you did well, Ged!

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002