Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

OG Clock dating "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
I just received my Ansonia OG clock and was wondering how to date these types of clocks. I had the movement apart and only found the Ansonia name stamped on it.

My second question has to to with chiming speed. Becuase this clock is weight driven, it seems to chime really fast. Is there a way to slow that down or is it inherent with this type of clock.. Bruce

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
Vienna Regulators
IHC Member 313
posted
Bruce many weight clocks have had a heavy weight added or as a replacement when the orginal weights were lost or if the movement would not run because lack of cleaning or worn pivots. Also check if the fly is tight and not slipping.

Posts: 287 | Location: Westlake, Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: January 11, 2004
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Hi Doug,

Fly is tight and not slipping. The weights appear to be original. It doesn't sound bad, just fast ..

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Bruce,
A large part of dating Ansonia is in the wording on the label. The company made slight changes in its name several times throughout its history.

I would guess it to be around the 1880s.

Is the label on yours?

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Hi Tom,

Here is a picture of the label

Bruce Byrd

Label photo