Internet Horology Club 185
Wooden Movement

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9886029761/m/8751094172

August 12, 2007, 11:11
Wayne C. Anderson
Wooden Movement
Is it possible to identify a wooden movement? The only information I have is that its made from Cherry & Oak wood. Thanks

August 12, 2007, 13:20
John Arrowood
There have been extensive articles about wooden works in the Bulletin in the past, with charts of identifying elements to determine who made the movement. I thought there is a chapter which specializes in wooden movements, but I don't see it in a quick glance at the list of chapters published in the April 2007 issue.
August 12, 2007, 13:46
Wayne C. Anderson
Thanks John, and idea about what year bulletin?

August 12, 2007, 15:55
Richard Morey
Go to Bulletin Index and search on wooden movement.

Best of luck.

Rick
August 14, 2007, 02:03
Tom Seymour
Wayne,
The issue you want to look at is Supplement#19, Spring, 1993.

The closest I could find was an Elisia Hotchkiss Jr.
From looking at the front plates in your picture and comparing it to the pictures in the book, The only difference I could spot was the position of the retaining spring on the count wheel. all other hole and angles of attachments seem to match.

Much of the identification is done by tooth count on the time and strike trains. The book also mentions who, besides the maker, used those particular movements.

Identification is tricky and all details must be looked at.

I would scan the picture in the Supplement, but my scanner has not found its way to the boxes that have been unpacked.

Tom
August 14, 2007, 19:26
Wayne C. Anderson
Tom,
Thanks for pointing me in towards the bulletin publication....appreciate your help.

September 30, 2007, 04:01
Jimmie L. Conder
I have what appears to be an identical movement in the shop for restoration but can't identify maker. I have a photo on the way to Don Bruno who seems well versed on wooden movements.He also fabricates wheels,gears, etc. His E Mail: torringtonclockco@clockcollecting.com
Jim