Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Wooden Movement "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
Is it possible to identify a wooden movement? The only information I have is that its made from Cherry & Oak wood. Thanks

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
There have been extensive articles about wooden works in the Bulletin in the past, with charts of identifying elements to determine who made the movement. I thought there is a chapter which specializes in wooden movements, but I don't see it in a quick glance at the list of chapters published in the April 2007 issue.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
Thanks John, and idea about what year bulletin?

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Go to Bulletin Index and search on wooden movement.

Best of luck.

Rick

Posts: 93 | Location: Frisco, Texas in the USA | Registered: August 29, 2006
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Wayne,
The issue you want to look at is Supplement#19, Spring, 1993.

The closest I could find was an Elisia Hotchkiss Jr.
From looking at the front plates in your picture and comparing it to the pictures in the book, The only difference I could spot was the position of the retaining spring on the count wheel. all other hole and angles of attachments seem to match.

Much of the identification is done by tooth count on the time and strike trains. The book also mentions who, besides the maker, used those particular movements.

Identification is tricky and all details must be looked at.

I would scan the picture in the Supplement, but my scanner has not found its way to the boxes that have been unpacked.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Tom,
Thanks for pointing me in towards the bulletin publication....appreciate your help.

posted
I have what appears to be an identical movement in the shop for restoration but can't identify maker. I have a photo on the way to Don Bruno who seems well versed on wooden movements.He also fabricates wheels,gears, etc. His E Mail: torringtonclockco@clockcollecting.com
Jim

Posts: 2 | Location: Meridian House, L.L.C. Filer, Idaho | Registered: May 20, 2007