• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waterbury "Benedict"? w/Hieroglyphics "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
This is a neat little clock I've had for quite a while that I finally got going today. The movement is a small Waterbury with the wasp logo on it. The center/winding arbor was broken when I got it but I got a broken mv't to pirate the part from at our Chap. 5 mart last weekend. It now not only runs, it keeps time!

The case is marked, in relief, "Benedict" on the bottom and has a logo with a bee in a clover with the letter B on either side surrounded in a horizontal diamond cartouche. Also on the bottom is a second logo, a raised stamp with the same info incused with the addition of "Karnak brass".

I am wondering if anyone knows this model and also if the B/B and Benedict marks might be related to Benedict and Burnam, an intregal co. during the developement of Waterbury. The only reason I have doubts about that is that I didn't think B+B still had any connection to Waterbury by the time I think this clock was made(1890s ?). There were many discoveries in Egypt in the 1890's that piqued public interest and influenced design and marketing. Much the same happened 25 years later when Tut's tomb was dicovered and the flapper girls went out and got those cute short haircuts.

Here's a pic,comments appreciated.

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004
posted
Actually, there aren't hieroglypfics on the the case, just what you see in the pic.

Carrying the theme another step, here is a pic of another clock with Egyptian motifs. This one has a Junghans movement but the case was the pure invention of some folk artist many years ago. It is equiped with sliding panels and lots of detail. It hangs in my Mom's house in N.J..
-Cort

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Cort,
I could not find it in Tran's Waterbury book. Dials similar to that were on models from 1907 to 1915.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Tom,
Thank you for looking it up. Did the example you saw have the "B" in the diamond logo?
-Cort
p.s.-I forgot to mention that the back plate is marked "Patented/ May 29,1894/Benedict Mfg Co"

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
No. There were no logos as your clock has. I suspect that the casemaker purchased the movements from Waterbury. Usually it is the other way around.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Good information Tom, thank you. I really like this little clock! This is in part due to the long wait I endured for a junk mov't to steal a part from and also that is running so well. Also,I confess, the look of it is very appealing to me.
-Cort