• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waterbury no.40 calendar clock "Click" to Login or Register 
posted

I just got my Waterbury No.40 calendar clock out of the shop today I just thought I would post a photo of it I only own a few regular clock's the other's are miltary clocks.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

That is one truly beautiful clock Mike, all Waterburys are premium quality from what little I know of them. The condition of yours looks to be nearly perfect. Please tell us more about it.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
It's a waterbury no 40 calendar clock,8 day wind movement and has a peretual calendar the calendar is self adjusting when the month is less than 31 day's this calendar will correct it self on it's own accord you would not think they could come up with some thing like this in the 1800's with out computer's.The calendar mechanism you never oil.I am still learning so if any one else can add any more let me learn.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Very interesting.

Since months are indicated the perpetual calendar probably works on the same basis as the way we were taught to remember "thirty days hath September, April, June and November" ...with all the others coming up 31 except for 28 in February. It must be a fascinating mechanism.

I am often amazed at how well these ancient machines function.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
So does it have to be reset every four years? Just how do you set the calendar on that?

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
posted
It adjust it self for leap year on it own if that what you meant.And to set calendar underneath the 18 of the dial locate a lift wire push up and hold and move the date hand to the right day and if you have change the month when you go pass the 31 the month will change continue these until you have the right month and then until you have the date hand on the right day number and there is a lead tip wieght next to the push wire each time you lift up the wieght the day will change like thursday to friday.