• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Dating 400 day clocks "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
If i was to post a picture of the back plate of my Forrestville, 400 day clock.Could it be dated?
I am curious to know the age.
Cool

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Kevin,
Some dating can be done from the back plate which gives the name of the manufacturer. Post the picture of the backplate, and I think others would like to see the whole clock, and we will take it from there.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Hi Kevin,
According to 'The 400 Day Clock Repair Guide 10th Edition' the Forrestville clocks were all made from 1949 thru 1954. They were made by five different makers.
Post a picture so we can determine date and maker.

Joe

Posts: 450 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: October 10, 2004
posted
Thanks Joe and Tom.
I will try to get a photo or a few of them later, i do not have the horolovar guide for the 400 day clocks et, but i know i need one. Smile

posted
I now have the book and it is helping me to date some of these clocks.I also look to see how they are made and compare to get a idea of age.
Great book and lots of information.
Smile

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Kevin,
Some of the dates shown are very approximate. Kundo and Schatz made some of the same models for years. I don't think there is any way to know exactly when they were made unless they do have a date on them (Schatz dated some of their's, or an engraved date the owner put on). Some models were only made for a few years, and you might see one listed in an old catalog. Schatz is the only company that made it easy, and they dated their anniversary clocks in the 1950s and 1960s.

Andy

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002