Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ansonia 8 day lever "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Any information on this one I just got at auction? I think it dates to the 1860s or 1870s, correct? It is 8 day, two spring, time only with a second hand, balance wheel movement. The case is about 17 1/2" tall, the bezel is about 12" daimeter. This is the only thing I bought. (All these pictures are borrowed, not mine, I am still not digital camera ready.) Big Grin

Andy

Ansonia lever

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Also at the same auctions, ones I didn't get. Roll Eyes
Why would this Ball GE plastic clock from the 1950s or so sell for $180?

Ball electric

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
I wanted this advertising sign, cast iron and tin. It is not a clock, only a painted sign. It is about 24" diameter. Looked pretty old. Any info on it? I have seen pictures of these outside old jewelry stores, this is the first one I have seen up close.

Cast Iron and Tin sign

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
I tried to find information on this, but ended up letting Chuck Roeser, in NY know about it. He is the one who had the winning bid. He tells me it is a Howard model "O", which is the smallest Howard striking tower clock made. Looked big to me. See http://www.ustowerclock.com/

Howard O tower clock

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
This is an old clock with a new dial (not attached). Seth Thomas #2 regulator.

Seth Thomas 2 Regulator

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
One I liked, by Waterbury. They called it a Library office clock. Large case. It had weights on ladder chains.

Library Clock

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Andy,

The Ansonia looks especially nice, what size clock is that? The movement is particularly interesting

Anything related to Railroad Timekeeping and most of all to Ball will sell at a premium. With that one the Ball collector has a handsome looking clock that is also very practical and will continue increasing in value.

The cast iron frame jewelers advertisement is another popular item. A hundred years ago it would have hung outside the place of business to attract attention and customers. As an imaginative former owner did with that one they can be repainted in any way one might choose.

Tower clocks have a big following among our members. I can think of one in particular who has such a working clock on display in his home. There is a hole cut in the floor so the clock is on one floor and the pendulum extends through to the floor below.

Seth Thomas Number 2 Regulators are a favorite of mine, looks like a nice example. Finally, that's some ornate case on the last one, looks like gargoyles to my eye!

Thanks for sharing all the great pictures and be sure to show us the Ansonia details!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Corrections made in the above messages. The movement in the Ansonia is a small 2 spring time only with a second hand (second hand on it was too long, so I need a replacement). I'll post pictures when I can get them scanned. Clock is now running. Big Grin

The electric Ball clock by GE looked like it was from the 1950s or newer, when would Ball have last made or sold watches? I think if it had anything else on the dial (maybe excluding Coca Cola), it would have only sold for about $20! Plastic and electric.

Andy

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Andy,
There are several Ansonia lever movements that look very much like yours, with sublte differences. Those differences are mostly in the position of the winding arbors, and the little cutout to adjust slow/fast. The cases are also very similar with slight diffrences.

The one in Tran's book that looks exactly like yours is simply called "Ansonia Lever". The date in the book is 1901.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Thanks Tom,

Can you tell from the picture in the book what the second hand is suppose to look like? This one is too long, and I think it came off a Seth Thomas regulator that was near it. The ST was missing it's second hand, and it would probably be the right length. I don't want to cut it if it is old.

One of these days I'm going to have to invest in more clock books!

I'll add more pictures here when I get a chance. The back has a near complete lable.

Andy

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
I am finally getting around to scanning a picture of the movement in the Ansonia 8 day clock in the first picture. This is 2 spring time only balance wheel.

Andy

Ansonia time only mvt

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Sorry Andy, the books have been packed. Someone else out there must have the Ansonia book.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 43
posted
Andy, According to my ansonia book, this is the "Ansonia Lever" circa 1901 original cost was 6.50 in the 8 day time version and 8.50 for the 8 day with strike. It was available in black walnut or ash. Hope this helps, Curly

Posts: 251 | Location: Ashland, Wisconsin U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002