Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

8 day wood works? "Click" to Login or Register 
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
I have an out of order wood works clock. One of those items I have intended to restore some day but never did. There are five wheels in the time train, including the escape wheel. Is this an 8 day movement? The clock lable is marked, "IMPROVED CLOCKS WITH BRASS BUSHINGS WILLIAMS, ORTON, PRESTON & CO. FARMINGTON CONN. etc etc Joseph Hurlbut printer, Hartford."

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Gregg,
I am looking at a picture of a Williams, Orton, Prestons & Co. label on page 25 of NAWCC supplement 19, spring 1993, This label has the same printer information as yours. It also says at the top of the label "EIGHT DAY CLOCKS, with brass bushings"
According to the book, Williams, Orton, Prestons used a type 4, Jeromes and Darrow style 8 day movement.
The gear count for the time train is:
Great wheel: 36 (two types had 42)
2n arbor (leaves/teeth) 8/48
3rd arbor 8/36
4th arbor 8/32
escape arbor 8/42

It took an 11.75 lb. weight and fell 27.9 inches.

What case do you have for that? Sounds like an interesting clock.

NAWCC #41293
Internet Horology Chapter #104
Interim Exec. V.P. of IHC

[This message was edited by Tom Seymour on January 19, 2003 at 17:26.]

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Now I have to get it out and check those wheels and pinions. The case is in bad shape. Missing the door and the top. There are pillars at the sides of the case body. It has an exceptionally nice unrestored painted wooden dial with gold leaf at the corners. I suspect the case had feet at one time, but I can't be sure.

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Greg, upon further looking I see, in the same supplement, there is a picture of a Williams, Orton, Preston triple decker with side columns and also a photo of the movement front plate.

It sounds like quite a project. I think that having the dial in good shape is quite a plus. Good casework can be done. Maybe the pic can help with the top piece. Is yours a triple decker? That would be very sharp when restored.
Good luck!!!

NAWCC #41293
Internet Horology Chapter #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002