Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

"Identify Waterbury Clock" "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Robert M. Sweet
posted
This is a Waterbury Clock thats been in my family for over seventy years, could someone tell me the "model", approx. year of mfg., and catalog picture if available.

Thanks,
Robert

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Robert,
I cannot find the exact model in Tran's Waterbury book. However, there are several that are very similar. They were all produced from about 1885 to 1906. I would think yours from the late 1800s.

There is are a couple of models that have the same glass that is in your clock.

I can post a picture from the book of a clock with the same glass, if that would help your friend.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Tom,
I would appreciate the image very much. My grandfather purchased the clock in 1934 for $2.00, it was in used condition at that time. I have owned the clock for about 2 1/2 years.

Thanks,
Robert

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Robert,
I will add two pictures to this thread. The first shows clocks with a similar glass pattern. The second shows some that have a more similar case style, with the rectangular door.

Hope this helps.

The images are from Tran's Waterbury book.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Page 2

Tom

posted
Nice clock Robert, does it still run?
Sure wish you could buy them now for the prices in the catalog.
I don,t have a complete Waterbury gingerbread yet, a restoration project for later.
Good information on the clock Tom.

posted
Tom,
I really appreciate all the info. and especially the catalog images.

Thanks,
Robert

posted
Kevin,
Shortly after I received the clock from my uncle, I had it cleaned and the dial replaced. It keeps time really good, about day 6, it begins to lose time and I generally rewind about that time.

Thanks,
Robert

IHC Life Member
Picture of Shawn Johnston
posted
Hi Robert
I wish I had an uncle like yours,it is a wonderful thing to have a piece of history handed down from generation to generation,and even knowing that if properly cared for can be around for many more.
Anyway nice clock Robert

Enjoy Shawn

Posts: 47 | Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada | Registered: January 08, 2005
posted
Hi Shawn,
Thanks, except for the dial replacement, the clock is exactly as I remember it back in the fifties. Here is also an image of my father's E.Ingraham kitchen clock. Maybe someone can help me with the model, mfg. year, and possibly a catalog picture!

Thanks,
Robert

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Robert, I couldn't find the clock in the Ingraham book, but did find it in the Tran's New Haven book.

Is the clock marked Ingraham somewhere? Label, dial or movement?

This catalog puts the date at about 1911.

Hope this helps.

Tom

posted
Tom,
My apology, you are correct, it is a New Haven. I'm sorry I had you looking in the wrong book. It is marked "NEW HAVEN-TRADEMARK" in a circle on right side of movement. For some reason, I thought it was an Ingraham. I really appreciate the nice catalog image very much.

Thanks as always for your excellent responses.

Thanks,
Robert

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The closest thing it had to a name was that it was part of the "Merchants Line". It was common practice for makers to market the clocks to shops in groups. These groups had names that had names that often one is hard pressed to relate to the clocks. Why this is part of the Merchants Line, I don't know.

There was also the "Dandy Line", the "Maine Line", the "D" line, "Camden Line" etc.

Tom

posted
Tom,
Thanks very much for your in-depth description.
One last question, did the mfg's use a variety of pendulum bobs of each model clock?

Thanks,
Robert

IHC Life Member
Picture of Dale Sowell
posted
New Haven clocks of this type usually had the brass shell type round BOB with a little piece of brass trim attached to its top. The also had square pendulum rods. From what little I can see of your pendulum it looks more like a Waterbury or possibly an Ingraham. COuld you provide a better Photo of it ??? You can pick up a NH pendulum of ebay usually for $20 or so if you are lucky ........ds

Posts: 22 | Location: Senatobia, Mississippi USA | Registered: July 14, 2003
posted
Dale,
Thanks, this is the same bob that is in my grandfather Waterbury clock, I suppose it has replaced. Do you have a image of the one you mentioned that should be the original?

Robert

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Looking through the New Haven catalog, it is apparent that they had several styles of pendulum bobs. There were several things that could change on a given model, such as style of dial; and on kitchen clocks thermometers and barometers were options that could be added. I would imaging that a choice of pendulum bobs might also have been, to some degree, a choice. Large buyers could probably pick and choose among bobs and glass styles available. (And so could those buying a large quantity. - the initial thought.) We certainly see many variations that appear original, but vary from what is in the catalog.

Tom

posted
Tom,
I really appreciate all the information you have supplied. You have thoroughly answered all my questions.

Robert

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
I have tried to find your pendulum in one of the books, but have not found it yet. I believe that Dale is on the right track with the style of bob that New Haven usually had, although the book shows one with the cast design similar, but not exatly like yours. I looked in the Ansonia, Gilbert, Waterbury, Sessions and Seth Thomas books and could not spot the exact design you show.

It does show up in the LaRose Catalog, but those were usually reproductions of old designs, so that doesn't really tell us anything definitive.

Tom

posted
Tom,
I certainly appreciate the additional info.

Robert

IHC Life Member
Picture of Dale Sowell
posted
Yes that is the Waterbury pendulum you show. I will post you a New Haven Photo tomorrow afternoon. New have had a cast pendulum they used in some of the early gingerbread clocks they made then went to the plain brass shell bob on standard clocks and they had one with an up/down indicator for the fancier ones. I try to post them to.

posted
Dale,
Thanks, your info. is certainly appreciated.

Robert

IHC Life Member
Picture of Dale Sowell
posted
The WEB SITE is back on line ......

www.dsclocks.com