Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

I finally figured it out!/NEW see Last post "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
There IS NO WAY to decide on a style of clock, because the minute I think I love a Deco, I see an ornate piece like Greg posted in the pendulum post I had up, and I loved it too!

Then it's on to a nice sleek something or other, and I start all over again.

Yesterday did it, I was in Target for my mom and there it was, A HUGE WALL CLOCK, about 4' tall and I Loved it, that's when I knew, that if you love watches and clocks, there is no ONE that you can stick with. Never in a million years would I have EVER considered a current, probably battery operated, clock!!!!!!!!!!!!

You love them all. You may have a favorite, but you will never be able to love just one style of clock.

What is it about these Gems, that can make us turn our heads and drool, even if it's one we wouldn't even think of a year before.

I've even been looking at those old electric teapot type kitchen clocks. !!!!!!!!!!

You guys are killing me, I'm so stuck on looking at clocks that I can't even look in any store without going to the clock department, and I DON'T LIKE NEW CLOCKS!!!!!!

Oh well, I guess I'm stuck with another passion, but I sure wish I could pick just ONE design, but I can't, so I guess I was born to be eclectic?? (bad spelling) diverse maybe?

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
That's great Sheila!! You are absolutely right. There are SO MANY interesting and attractive (determined by the viewer) clocks out there that is is impossible to settle on one style. Since I have slipped into watchworld, I am finding the same thing applies there. If only the wallet were bigger and the wall space more generous. Roll Eyes

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
Somehow...I...kinda expected to hear from you Sheila...LOL!

Too True!

I do the same thing!
I have two of the portico clocks now(since January)...Now, by happenstance(?), I've purchased 3 carriage clocks in the past month Roll Eyes

I've just realized however, that I need to get rid of some of them. I don't have enough room for customers clocks!! argh...what a task this is turning out to be!

greg

Posts: 497 | Location: Genoa, New York U.S.A. | Registered: November 06, 2003
posted
Tom,
No matter...... clocks or watches, we all would like to have a ton of the green stuff, to buy everything that peeks the passions in the watch and clock departments. AND the need for a mix of them gets stronger each day.

Greg,
Your clock just blew me away, and yes, I think we need to take out the furniture for the room to have more watches and clocks, forget the furniture the tables, the chairs, make room for those gorgeous clocks and watches.!

Yes, I am kidding, but I have made more room for my watch and soon to be clocks.

I really only have a couple clocks, but they just keep calling me to them, and I have been good for over 5 years now, but I will be looking at some with a serious eye real soon.

Good thing I have to get some of my watches serviced first. (or I would be in trouble)

OH, but I did pick up a real JUNK alarm clock today, I just could not leave it alone. (OOPS)

Will post it soon.

Sheila

posted
Sheila, face it, you're hooked - line and sinker! Big Grin

Next thing you know, you'll be building up a toolkit and fiddling with the innards Eek Big Grin

I started out on clocks originally, and have quite a few French slate clocks - some with garnitures, a couple of Gustav Becker wall clocks, boxes full of 'Napoleon Hat' type mantle clocks (Westminster chimes), and even an Ogee wall clock, a very eclectic mix!.

Most are projects going through restoration, which was halted when we moved home (you know how That is!), so they're all in the loft waiting patiently for attention.
They give me a reminder they're still up there occasionally when nails in the roof joints bark in the middle of the night Roll Eyes.

Our favourite is a tall French slate clock with a drum head, and quite understated gilded embellishments.
I bought it in St Jean D'Angely a few years ago, and that clock actually moves with us when we go to France, crazy maybe, but home wouldn't be home without that chime going all day.

If I ever shift enough watches / clocks to be able to purchase something really special, I'd like to find an 18C long case clock made by an ancestor, complete with named dial!

Enjoy the passion, it don't go away - it gets Worse! Big Grin

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
John,
I am! hooked!

This is my junk clock, I was hoping to be able to take it apart and look at the gears and stuff, but if it turns out like it did with my watches, I just could not bring myself to take any of them apart even when I purchased them just for that purpose.

I really want this tin mess to be of no use at all so I can play with it. It says Spasmodic Alarm on the dial. Please tell me this is junk.

I figure with the beat up case, and the water damage, it's got to be a bad one.

We will see when I get it.

Sheila

Spasmodic Alarm

posted
Hmmmm ............... looks pretty grim to me Sheila Big Grin

I'm the worlds worst hoarder, but I don't think even I could take pity and save that one Wink

Get them there spanners out Girl and go for broke Razz

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
John,
That's EXACTLY what I wanted to hear!!!!

YES YES YES I bet I get to take THIS ONE apart!

Pretty sad huh? LOLOLOL

I thought it looked really bad and that there was no hope for it, so I thought I would give it a try. I only want to take it apart and look at the wheels and things, after this long a wait, I don't really care what I use to get inside one of these babies.

I'm sharpening my tools. With any luck it won't fall into a pile of dust before I can get into it.

Cross your fingers for me.

Sheila

posted
Yup, got to agree with you there Sheila, looks pretty bad to me too Wink

I don't know as taking it apart is sad, but that clock is so sad, looks like that water damage was caused by it crying, Wink
I recon Whatever you do to it will be an improvement! Big Grin

Crossed fingers, too right .......... Gawd, I'd want 'em armour plating to go inside that thing Razz

Spasmodic Alarm ....... yeah right, spasm ... Hmmmmmm Big Grin

Enjoy! Wink

John

posted
I was going through my posts and forgot to tell you guys something about this clock when I got it.

IT WORKS!!!!!!! No Kidding!!! It started ticking as soon as I took it out of the box!!!!

Wouldn't you know it, I finally have a chance to open a clock and tinker with it, and it runs.

It's ugly, it's a mess, and I just can't open it and ruin something that "SPEAKS" to me.

My heart dropped when I took this sad, old, piece of junk out and it "Talked" to me!!!!

I guess I will just have to admit it, I AM HOOKED!

I have put her away, and I will keep her, I have also found out, that sometimes keep things like this are great too, and a reminder of "When I didn't know clocks" The same way I learned about watches. I adore my "Learning Watches" and maybe I will think of this one, as one that would have been my first "Take apart Clock" that never happened??????

The other thing I have learned to admit is that I don't think I can take a watch or a clock apart, and I'm not going to try anymore. I just can't do it no matter how bad they look.

No one will EVER like any of these pieces of junk, but they are my babies, and represent some of the fun, and happy memories of my path to Watch and Clock Collecting. After all, knowing what NOT to buy, is as important, as what is the best.
Even then, it's still the buyer that decides what is of value to them, and my "First talking to me clunker" is important to me, so I decided that it's a keeper.

Sad, but true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sheila