Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help with Gilbert ID "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Good evening:
I picked up this clock today at an antique store not knowing what it was. It had a small piece of label left that indicated American, so I took it home for a whopping total of $75 Canadian. It turns out that it is a Gilbert, but I'm hoping that someone knows what model and age it is. Thank you in advance,
Grant

Grant Perry

gilbert

Posts: 334 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: January 28, 2003
posted
Hi Grant:
Tran Ly's Gilbert book shows a clock identical to yours (except for the side pieces) named "Parisian" and dated 1880. It is an eight day spring, strike, 24 inches high and has an identical reverse painted tablet.

In addition, the 1885 model of the same name has side pieces identical to yours but with additional molded ornamentation on the base. The 1885 model is the same size and wood, but has no reverse painting on the glass.

Looks like you got a sweet deal. Book price in 1998 was about 5 times your investment.

Hope this helps.

Pattye

Posts: 119 | Location: Lookout Mountain, Georgia U.S.A. | Registered: October 14, 2004
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Sure does help. Thank you very much for the info!
gp

Grant Perry

posted
Nice clock Grant, hope you get my email i sent today.
Is the clock running or does it need work?
Is this the next class project?
Smile

Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Hi Kevin:
It runs fine, but it is very dirty and needs a few bushings. It has a few punch marks, but it should come out fine. Hope to be finished before the next class Smile
gp

Grant Perry

posted
Grant, nice clock, i know the way you are and this will be a nice clock when you get it finished, maybe you can bring it to a meeting in the future.
Smile

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Nice catch Grant!! Great looking clock. I would keep my eye on Kevin if you bring it to a meeting! Roll Eyes Big Grin

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Hi Tom:
Too funny. You have to watch out for Kevin alright, but he is a pretty good guy Smile We have been taking clock repair and lathe classes together for the last year or so, and it has been nothing but fun!
gp

Grant Perry

posted
I didn't see that anyone posted the common name for this style of clock. We always called them 'teardrops' because of the hangin finials at each side. I had a calendar version for a few years but can't recall the maker.

Look like you got a real bargain as fixed up it might be worth $350-450 US.

Congratulations! Big Grin

Posts: 179 | Location: Charlotte, Michigan U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2004