WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

German Ships Clock WW11. Help With Research Please. "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
HI, I have a Ship's clock ,On the lefthand side of the face is an Eagle wings outstretched holding a Swastika in its claws, under that is the letter M. Opposite on the righthand side is the numbers 18544 over the letter N. the face is silvered with black engraved numerals and it has a sweep second hand. An identical clock was shown in the TV film "Das Boat" if any of you saw that film about life on a U Boat. Question 1 any way of telling which vessel if any was it on? 2. Is there many of these surviving? 3.Who were the crew?. Thanks in anticipation, GED. Smile Smile

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Ged, my belief a lot of these were destroyed because of the Nazi markings. You probably have a very unusual item there. Personally as much as I deplore the intent of the marking I recognize the historical significance of this interesting clock...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Very interesting item Ged. I don't have anything to add to what you already know about it, but will keep my eyes open for any information.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Hello Tom, I wish I could post pictures myself, thanks for doing it for me. I have been in contact with Konrad.Kninim@-online.de He was most helpful and sent me makers name also a picture of U-Boat interior with identical clock,and a side view of movement. I can scan what I have and post it to you if your'e interested. Many Thanks, GED.

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Ged, I , and I am sure others, are very interested. Please send along what you can.

Thanks

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Ged,

A good friend of mine has let me know about a website that is full of people who have a massive amount of data on ubots and crews etc.

u-boat website

You might want to look around there for some info.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Hello all, Yes Iv'e visited U- Boat site, thank you. Material I gained from Germany is in the post to Lindell today, If he considers it worthy he may post it for you all to see. I wish I could post my own pictures etc, maybe one day. All the best, GED. Smile

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Here's more info' on Ged's World War II German U-Boat Clock...

By the way, I looked over the Undersea-Boat Site Tom referenced.
You could spend hours in there. It is absolutely fascinating!

Here is the Web-Page that Ged found with information on his U-Boat Clock...

http://home.t-online.de/home/konrad.knirim/a912mone.htm#top

Below, the informational document seen on the web-page above...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Thanks Lin for posting Chart and web link, you see that chart or list to the right of the movement picture and I asked Konrad if i could see it enlarged, he was very helpful and did what I asked, My German is very very limited and as far as I can make out it gives the list of WW11 watches and clocks and the amounts of each issued to which type of craft. Thanks again, GED.