• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham Nine Tube clock? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I recently bought a Waltham tallcase clock at auction. It has eight silvered tubes all marked Waltham. The case, movement and movement frame all look to be original and unaltered. I can only find reference to Waltham nine tube clocks. In Tran Duy Ly’s book Longcase clocks on page 436 there is a picture of a nine tube movement showing eight striking arms. Unfortunately there is not a rear view shown of this movement. In my pictures you can see where they doubled up on the use of the longest tube using it as part of the chime sequence and also then to strike the hour. Does anyone have knowledge of these clocks with either a nine tube or eight tube setup? Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ken

Posts: 353 | Location: Nichols, New York in the USA | Registered: April 04, 2010
posted
Rear view

Posts: 353 | Location: Nichols, New York in the USA | Registered: April 04, 2010
posted
"Ninth tube?"

posted
"Ninth Tube side"

posted
Dial

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
LOOKS LIKE A BEAUTIFUL PIECE OF WORK,KEN Wink

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
posted
Ken

This is one of the finest plate decorations I have ever seen.
It looks like there were 8 and 9 tube clocks made.
Here a 8- tube example:

Waltham 8-tube clock

Regards
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
Gerald, thanks for your reply. I will post a picture of the complete clock once I reassemble it.

posted
Complete clock

IHC Life Member
Picture of Moses Gingerich
posted
Very very nice unit. Quite desireable.
I hope you had a good buy on it.
My sis-in-law has a 9 tube made for a Chicago name brand store and I hope she will actually allow me to acquire it in the future as she has promised.
Yours is a fine speciment especially the movement.
Regards,,
Moses

Posts: 143 | Location: Waxhaw, North Carolina USA | Registered: March 31, 2005
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Super looking Waltham!! Beautiful clock.

Bill Carlson

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Montana USA | Registered: February 05, 2007