Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

seth thomas question "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Can anyone tell me what type set thomas movement this is,,The dial is 18 inches in diameter.
question 1..is this a regulator movement..
question 2 if it is a regulator movement how can i determine what size movement it is.

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
picture 2

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Hi Sammie,
I put a picture of a similar time only ST clock I found in the photo album below. It is an 8 day movement, time only, but I can't tell you anything about it. Someone made the case for this one, and I wonder what it originally came from. It is a very large clock. Sorry, more questions than answers.... Confused

Photo album.

Andy

So many clocks, so little time.

Seth Thomas time only

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
I repaired one this last Fall from a Cincinnati Time Recorder. It had extra holes in the front plate for mounting the drive shaft going downward to the time stamp mechanism. Had really thick mainsprings 0.045" that had broken or bent every trundle in the second wheel. All the teeth were "frazed over" (to quote Laurie Penman). So I replaced the springs with normal 8D 'kitchen" clock springs to reduce the power. Even with the frazing it ran fine.

When you say, "How can i determine what size movement it is?" do you mean pendulum length? Pendulum length will take a gear train calculation to be certain. The one I did I did not calculate rate or pendulum length, but it was about 24" or so. You can fiddle around with that as a start point to figure out the length too.

Posts: 179 | Location: Charlotte, Michigan U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2004
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
Thanks j. bruce and Andy the reason for the questions is i am trying to buy the clock this movement is in and not knowing anything about clocks i need help identifying what it is..I have heard about #2 ,,#3 and so on regulators ..It is a large clock 54-55 inches tall 25 inches wide..etched on the glass is watchmans time detector

I have a oldclock maker who would help me out but he is out of town..

here is a couple of more pictures.

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
pic 2

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Samie,
I have checked through the books I have, and could not find that particular clock. Many of the clocks with similar cases were weight driven.

It is a great clock. Do you know anything about the company on the glass?

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Your movement is a Seth Thomas # 86. It came in many configurations starting with the # 86 and running through 86Y, sometimes having a two letter designation (AF). If you remove the bottom piece of wood used for mounting you may find a number or a number and letter combination stamped on it. Some will be marked 40,50,or 60 these numbers refer to beats per minute-40 = 80 beats per minute and so on. The different # letter combo's all translate into slightly different gear and pendulum length set ups. These movements were used in time clocks and clocks like yours which I believe is a watchmans clock or master clock. They were also used in Seth Thomas gallery and lobby clocks. The "World" school house clock, the "Umbria" wall clock and the "Hotel" shelf clock.They were made in 8 day time and strike, 8-15 and 30 day time only.

Posts: 25 | Location: Centereach, New York, USA | Registered: May 18, 2003
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
Tom i dont know anything about the company wish i did, but so far i have not been able come up with any information ..I do know that a lot of watch and clock compaines were located on or near Nassau Street..

Jack thanks for the information i will check and see if the is any numbers on the movement or case ....The clocks are a new thing for me i am sure you can tell that from all the questions...

I wonder if the company name might have been on the dial ,someone has done a poor job repainting the dial it looks like there may have been some lettering on the dial under the poor paint job.

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
I was looking at a small package that was inside the clock case where the bracket for hanging the clock was and there was the second hand it is almost 3 inches long.. there is a circle on the movement with a diamond inside the circle that has the intials ST ..there is also a brass tag on the case with the numbers 64-6311..There is brass tags on both sides of the case with the same information that is on the glass..the pendlum rod is just a little less than 40 inches long ..

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
To revive an old post, and looking for some information.
I bought this Mission style clock with an Seth Thomas 86 movement, and marked 30 on the lower right section on the frame. Strange to me is that it is a chain wound time & strike.
I think the 30 indicates 30 teeth on the escape wheel... = 60 bpm? (The Pendulum is 40" long.)
And, since I can't find anything like it, what exactly do I have?

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Dave, This is what the Seth Thomas Clocks and Movements book by Tran Duy Ly has to say about your movement.

Bill Carlson

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Montana USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Bill,

Thanks so much! This is the information I've been trying to find ever since I acquired this clock. Now all I have to do is figure out which one is mine.

Thanks again, I really appreciate this information.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Well, that didn't take long, mine is the 87.

I'll post some pictures when I get it put back together.

Dave Turner

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Okay boys, I got her up and running. Bought this clock on a whim. I've enjoyed working on it.

Dave Turner

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
And Here's the bottom half.

Dave Turner

IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Nice job Dave, did Seth Thomas make their own wooden cases?

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Thanks Lorne,
My guess is that the case is not Seth Thomas. There are no markings on it that I can find.

Dave Turner

IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
OK, I will check with some Stickley collectors I know.

Sure would be nice to find their mark on one of these clocks.

Als ik kan: To the best of my ability

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Thanks Lorne,
This clock seems to be a rare bird as far as I can determine.

Dave Turner